The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum...
Can we have a picture of the boot lid/hinge problem please, how were they fitted originally?
Black Art Enthusiast
The boot is being worked on just now Ian, I am keen to hear how others building similar have solved the hinge. It is a simple affair, just two.

Many thanks.
Presumably they are attached to the alloy skin and you need a backing? That could take the form of a block of shaped wood which I guess is how they were done, or a shaped piece of steel with some threaded inserts riveted inside the skin, you have probably thought of both these which is why I am intrigued by the problem, is it more complicated than I am imagining?
Black Art Enthusiast
They are attached to wood in the tail and the boot lid cover Ian, nothing complicated or fancy whatsoever. There is not really a problem, just tapping for some previous experience.

There are a number of Forum users who have built up Cup models and I am keen to know what they used, many thanks.

The only photo I have to hand is this one. The hinges are nothing special, although they would be better in stainless. I have drilled and tapped a plate to sit in the back as it is difficult to get a nut and washer into the small space behind. 

I’ll try to get a better photo later. 

Peter
Thank you Peter, can you remember where you got them please?
PM sent!
    Hi Ruairidh 

A pal at the local Men’s Shed sold me these hinges for £10
Which he had leftover from some work on his Church Hall.

Very, very solid brass so may plate them
Nickel with my home plating outfit.

Not original I know but stronger than most.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Thank you Bill.
If it's any interest to you, that design is called a Parliament hinge and from memory Screwfix do them in stainless steel
for about £15.