Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scuttle (D Shape) Fuel Tank
Long shot I know, but does anyone have a D Shape 'Chummy' Type scuttle fuel tank that they no longer need?
Mine has a very slow weep which keeps returning and some ugly 'Repairs' I'd like to sort, but would like to continue using the car while I effect the proper repairs (either to mine or one I source).
I'm not too worried about condition. Though a nice ready to fit example would be great, an example needing repairs would be better than nothing.
As the email function is not working my email is tepayne@hotmail.co.uk or just reply to this thread
funnily enough I'd just emailed the company who make the alloy rear Austin 7 tank and asked them about the scuttle tank and whether they could make new.
I bet if it hasn't been done already, finding 10 people wouldn't be difficult...
Thanks for the reply Jon. It's an interesting thought. I spoke to Tony Betts, as he had some new ones made a while back (can't remember what material), I seem to remember they were reasonably priced, but he said they didn't generate enough interest to think about another batch. I think I'd worry about an aluminium tank, mounted as the original is, suffering stress fracture, but I presume that the company making the tanks would make them in a way that would prevent this.
Compbrake Motorsport will do to our pattern, aluminium, baffled, for 299 plus VAT.
How much is a decent secondhand tank these days?

Presumably that would solve the problem of the bayonet top, as could be designed a bit safer...
Hello again Jon. I'm sorry for misleading you, though I appreciate the idea, and the price is fair enough, I think I would prefer to explore other options.
P&M radiators, based at Marsham in Norfolk repair these. I have no affiliation to them, just experience of their excellent work.
Thank you for the recommendation, will keep them in mind.