The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dynamator
Call me a luddite if you like but someone needs to mention the Elephant in the room. Accuspark have done a great job of marketing this item, but how many of the owners who rushed out to buy a dynamator and now have extensive damage to their engines actually needed one? Very very few I would suggest! I also think it sad that Accuspark have once again shown that they take a very poor attitude to product development and customer service. I do agree with those like Rory and John who are saying we should not discourage companies reproducing much needed spares, but this "innovation" would to my mind seem unnecessary. I have spent 35 years driving Austin sevens, always on 6v dynamos and I have never had any serious failure, flung solder, stranded at night etc, etc. I admit that I do not ever drive any significant distance in the dark, but who does these days, not many if any, and with LED's which incidentally are an "innovation" to my mind I would have no problem if it did. There I have said it, someone needed to, so go ahead a shoot me down.
Black Art Enthusiast
I agree Ian.
The dynamo that probably did warrant manufacturing was the DFL, since they are in very low supply and mostly very knackered. However after this I very much doubt that Accuspark will entertain another geared dynamo.

Charles
That’s fair enough comment in my book Ian. I too have never been let down by the 6v dynamos on my cars.

I am curious however about the practical first-hand application of the Dynamator so will keep with this for completeness just now, and continue to report back.
(17-06-2018, 08:43 AM)Charles P Wrote: I agree Ian.
The dynamo that probably did warrant manufacturing was the DFL, since they are in very low supply and mostly very knackered. However after this I very much doubt that Accuspark will entertain another geared dynamo.

Charles

My thoughts were that the purchase of a dynamator negated the need for both dynamo and cut out, the cut out now is getting an expensive bit to buy, the cost of both would be about the same as the dynamator but the dynamator would work straight out of the box (or should do). I did plan to buy one but with the gear issues I may delay untill more testing has been done.
I agree with your thoughts Mark, several other reasons crossed my mind when considering going down the Dynamator route.

The cost is currently the same, perhaps a little less, than a properly rebuilt dynamo.

I have a full set of LED bulbs on my Chummy, including indicators, that cost me more than the Dynamator.

I do long journeys in my cars and have found that the battery is constantly overcharging, an alternator is supposed to prevent this happening.

On balance I thought is was worth a try, so did.
So far as I can see from this thread the problem is well defined.
Always fit the original dynamo gear to the dynamator and all should be well.
That said I've never had problems with 6V dynamo though with LED bulbs I am slightly concerned about overcharging.
Dynamo set to about 5A max and usually run 1/2 charge.
These days I often do 150 miles in a day though seldom do more. No problems so far. Not like the days when I did 400+ mile runs in midwinter starting and ending in the dark. Few problems then either.
I suspect the dynamator gear is not a properly cut involute skew gear. Not the simplest of machining operations.
Jim
I also still also run on 6 volt with my Ruby. I have a modification to my charging circuit made by one of our club members (PWA7C). By wiring the Dynamo slightly differently to make it a 2 brush unit and fitting an electric gizmo made by him it allows the battery to charge at a higher rate without damaging either the dynamo or battery. I have had it fitted now for over 4 years without problems and always have a battery with a good charge. I was about to say full charge but that would be incorrect as it goes down when pulling on the starter. However not long running before its back to full charge.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
If anyone is worried about overcharging with LED's simply adjust your dynamo's 3rd brush, and as for cost, if that is a problem you do not need a full set do you, replacing the head lights alone will solve the major drain. Added to which I would suggest most owners do not have any need for LED's either, this is simply another case of A7 folk law creating a perceived problem which in practice will never affect 90% of owners.... If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Black Art Enthusiast