The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dynamator
i fitted a new distributor as other worn and loss of power on hills and irregular firing.
Bingo, best the a7 tourer has been. Superb for 200 miles in Brittanny when sudden failure due to stripping of teeth of gear .
Seems identical to the troubles I have just been warned about, and surely must b the same faulty gear on replacement part as on new dynamotors. 
Thus simply buying a new distributor to replace dynamotors is no good, .
Who makes the gear and how do I find a different one?
John Toynton
Which gear stripped? Are you saying that the distributor gear stripped?
Can post a photo of the damaged gear please?
(29-05-2018, 01:24 PM)MMichael Wrote: Which gear stripped? Are you saying that the distributor gear stripped?

Yes, the cog gear on the vertical part, on top of which is the rotor arm. No photo as car awaiting repatriation to Guernsey.
John'
Have you actually fitted a dynomator or just the accupsark distributor? It is very unclear!
Fitted replacement of normal old type distrubutor,
John
Austin 7 Components http://www.a7c.co.uk list new distributor gears (Lucas) 1928 to 39 - their part no. BG140g but are showing 'Out of stock' on their online catalogue.
Well, I'll bet I'm not the only one to take a look. This after a bit less than 1000 miles. Amongst the bits of grease etc you can see a worn spot in the centre of the teeth which I guess is probably caused by worn bearings in the dynamo? Looks worse than it is, it is no deeper than the machining marks. Others can tell me if I'm wrong. 

(Dynamo is old and of uncertain parentage but works).

When I installed the distributor it produced a noisy rattle in the horn button via the A&R linkage. I loosened things off a bit and this went away.

Those who know about these things can tell me if I should worry, I won't unless you tell me to!

[Image: 41531790575_e7b2f165a5_c.jpg]IMG_3466 by dralowid, on Flickr

[Image: 40626259120_4d3a33111c_c.jpg]IMG_3465 by dralowid, on Flickr
Bloody hell, don't say its happening at both ends of the thing.I would work it back to Accuspark under warranty and put in a claim against them for out of pocket expenses, they should be getting used to it by now.
Just been out and checked mine - looks fine after about 5,000 miles!

Alastair