The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake cross shaft hangers and riveting rivets
(14-05-2018, 09:34 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: I used 8mm setscrews on the Rosengart ( well it’s a metric car ain’t it). Plenty strong enough

Derek, good for Rosengart, plenty strong enough but way oversize for a brake cross shaft bracket.
8 mm will have a 13mm head will will be tight fit in the channel.

1/4 or 6 mm should be ample, I would prefer 1/4" cause it's imperial innit
Buy some 8.8 or 10.9 bolts and applicable nuts. Say 6mm or thereabouts. They wont strip then. They'll do up 'FT' no problem
I have a lot of old R BSF/BSW bolts and are distinctly more strong than mild steel. I understood it to be the standard hardware HT. Does anyone know just what standard was/is the basis? A 1969 publication seems to imply S only for UNF/UNC and slightly more strong than R. Obsolete standards are a problem as anything can be claimed,  as with API SF, SG, SJ etc engine oils.
I used 8mm as that was the size of the rivets, remember the Rosengart is the same as an Austin but different.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Basically, you don't want the bracket to move. It can't fall off and the bolts are in shear, so they really don't need to be "over tight". As others have said, quality material and out of preference nylock type nuts.