The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12v electronic regulator
Hi all,
Before I go any further, I must add that I am not an electrician! However, I have almost finished a complete restoration of my Gordon England Cup (started 5 years ago). I have just finished the re-wiring, using armoured cable at great expense (!). During the restoration the dynamo and voltage regulator went away to be refurbished (I can't remember the guy's name, but I believe he's well known) The dynamo was fitted with a new armature and was converted to 12 volts, it also now has an electronic regulator.
My question is; when I turn the ignition on (coil engine) the amp meter shows maximum charge without the engine running. What, if anything have I done wrong?
(20-08-2017, 05:20 PM)John Tindle Wrote: Hi all,
Before I go any further, I must add that I am not an electrician! However, I have almost finished a complete restoration of my Gordon England Cup (started 5 years ago). I have just finished the re-wiring, using armoured cable at great expense (!). During the restoration the dynamo and voltage regulator went away to be refurbished (I can't remember the guy's name, but I believe he's well known) The dynamo was fitted with a new armature and was converted to 12 volts, it also now has an electronic regulator.
My question is; when I turn the ignition on (coil engine) the amp meter shows maximum charge without the engine running. What, if anything have I done wrong?

Hi John,
Most of our experience of electrical systems has come by sorting these sorts of problems out, you pick things up quickly that way!

Firstly are you sure the ammeter is wired up the right way round? Try turning the lights on without the ignition, disconnect it if need be. See which way the ammeter kicks - it should discharge. If the wrong way round, reverse the two wires on the back.

A maximum discharge sounds like a short in the system. Trace down each leg of the circuit with a multimeter disconnecting bits and testing for resistance to earth (or lack of it, a short circuit). It's easy to get something wired round the wrong way with non coloured cables like the armoured stuff, you've probably got a live down to earth somewhere?

I hope you find it and it's an easy fix. Let us know how you get on.

Dave
Yes, as Dave says, the ammeter must be connected the wrong way around and, assuming the ammeter is pinned against the endstop, there is a short..Do not turn on again before finding the short or some wiring may burn out..Check very carefully where the armoured wire goes as the shielding may be resting against something or one of the ends may not have been trimmed back far enough - and preferably taped near the connected ends..Roger
It's 'sorted'!
Thanks for your advice guys. It's now all okay, thanks to the help of Ron Bailey (the guy that provided the modified dynamo and electronic regulator) What would we do without the likes of these electrical gurus? Unfortunately, Ron has now retired.