The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will a Box Rear Axle fit a Ruby
A friend who does not use a computer asks the question - will a Box saloon rear axle fit a Ruby saloon.If it does fit, are there any major/minor modifications required. I think there may be issues with the prop shaft length though.
LWB rear axles will fit - the torque tube anchor and/or bracket may require changing to suit.
Brakes not straightforward if a later Ruby with Girling brakes.
Suspect the exact location of brake levers may differ on the others. Not sure if box can accomodate long levers. Can someone more familiar confirm? Was there more than one location on the pre Girling Rubies?
Bob. Unless the Ruby has the rod style arse end (and not many do) then its simply a case of ensuring the cables and levers are compatible. At worst buying a new set of 'box' cables. The 'box' axle will have balls on its levers (as do Mk2 Rubies), Semi Girling Rubies pins and clevis.
I just give a reminder that brake cables can be sourced from firms that deal with "wire rope".  Some small firms can even put on end fittings for you.   My local firm Devon near Exeter)deals with "wire rope" from a few mm thick to large crane items.  They did me a set of 5mm wires for my Renault window winding up and down mechanism with one end made up and the end pieces for self fixing once the wires had been fitted   ( cost around £15 about 15 years ago for 2 sets of left and right)......small family firm.

Using a fork and clevis where cable is clamped in by a bolt/pin means self fixing is easy.

Dennis

(09-05-2018, 07:45 AM)Stephen Barker Wrote: A friend who does not use a computer asks the question - will a Box saloon rear axle fit a Ruby saloon.If it does fit, are there any major/minor modifications required. I think there may be issues with the prop shaft length though.

Suggest you download the spares catalogues from the Austin 7 clubs association for your friend.  Comparison of part numbers will show differences if any.  Ruby axle changed in the late 1937 becoming known colloquially as the Heavy axle.

your friend could also maybe benefit from having a copy of the 750 club Austin 7 Companion which covers such subjects.....often some very subtle differences in various bits and pieces.    See the A7CA Archives also for the set of cards listing changes in all parts of the A7 from beginning to end (well most parts)

Dennis
(12-08-2018, 09:12 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: I just give a reminder that brake cables can be sourced from firms that deal with "wire rope".  Some small firms can even put on end fittings for you.   My local firm Devon near Exeter)deals with "wire rope" from a few mm thick to large crane items.  They did me a set of 5mm wires for my Renault window winding up and down mechanism with one end made up and the end pieces for self fixing once the wires had been fitted   ( cost around £15 about 15 years ago for 2 sets of left and right)......small family firm.

Using a fork and clevis where cable is clamped in by a bolt/pin means self fixing is easy.

Dennis

(09-05-2018, 07:45 AM)Stephen Barker Wrote: A friend who does not use a computer asks the question - will a Box saloon rear axle fit a Ruby saloon.If it does fit, are there any major/minor modifications required. I think there may be issues with the prop shaft length though.

Suggest you download the spares catalogues from the Austin 7 clubs association for your friend.  Comparison of part numbers will show differences if any.  Ruby axle changed in the late 1937 becoming known colloquially as the Heavy axle.

your friend could also maybe benefit from having a copy of the 750 club Austin 7 Companion which covers such subjects.....often some very subtle differences in various bits and pieces.    See the A7CA Archives also for the set of cards listing changes in all parts of the A7 from beginning to end (well most parts)

Dennis

The first question is Why ?