The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
6V Dynamator - first hand experiences...
Another thing to check with newly arriving dynomators. Mine was in a box for a different model and thus had no end protection (i.e. in transit) to either end of the unit. If yours is the same, read on.

I didn't immediately check the rotation of the spindle and another Forum member actually noticed a slight stiffness on one quadrant of the rotation which might or might not have been due to the above. This may be slightly more difficult to check now there is no end gear supplied.

Accuspark, it must be said, have been brilliant in dealing with things generally with me over new and older purchases, so as Ruairidh expressed earlier, do respect that they are doing vital development work that might otherwise not have ever been done.
(04-06-2018, 09:12 AM)JonE Wrote: I didn't immediately check the rotation of the spindle and another Forum member actually noticed a slight stiffness on one quadrant of the rotation which might or might not have been due to the above. This may be slightly more difficult to check now there is no end gear supplied.
Did anything come of this? I checked mine and it has something like you describe, although to me it felt magnetic?

One thing I noticed fitting mine is that the 2 threaded holes that it mounts from weren't deep enough and the bolts bottomed out.
Andrew - I'd only be worried if it came in a plainly unprotected box! Someone else thought mine was not right and the stiff movement through 10 or 20 degrees didn't feel like magnetic attraction...
(24-05-2018, 08:06 AM)Bob Culvesnip/ Wrote: Few appreciate the significance of the feed groove.
Info/details please Bob.

Geoff - Nearly finished installing compressed air piping

Thanks Bob.
[quote='jonblob33' pid='11087' dateline='1528030709']
Having found 50% of my cam gear missing has anyone changed the timing gears with the engine in situ?

Hi Kevin,

I did my timing gears with the engine in the car, although I had the sump and gauze off, the head off and the valves and radiator out, so could remove and replace the camshaft without difficulty (my camshaft bush locating bolt is a hex head rather than the original square headed job that can’t turn without lifting the block).

Assuming you don’t intend removing the camshaft you may be lucky after fitting the replacement gear and end up with the correct endfloat (.002”), but if not you’ll probably need to get the camshaft out to adjust the bush.

My original objectives were just to realign the radiator cowl, clean out the sump, unstick the valves and replace the core plug on the front of the block. I then discovered a broken tooth on the timing gear after lifting the dynamo housing. With hindsight it would have been easier to have had the engine on the bench from the off, so I would bite the bullet and see this as an opportunity to check the whole thing. Removing the camshaft means you can lap the new gear onto it without risking getting grinding paste in the bush, plus you can confirm the camshaft’s location fore and aft is correct.
So far I have counted 10 people here who have had problems with Accusparks Dynomata listed on this site, no doubt there are others who are not members here. But to quote the MD of Accuspark "We are absolutely not accepting liability " . Isn't it amazing that everyone has had problems including the pre-sale model which had its gears changed the week before mine
(11-06-2018, 06:32 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 01:58 PM)jonblob33 Wrote: Having found 50% of my cam gear missing has anyone changed the timing gears with the engine in situ?

Hi Kevin,

I did my timing gears with the engine in the car, although I had the sump and gauze off, the head off and the valves and radiator out, so could remove and replace the camshaft without difficulty (my camshaft bush locating bolt is a hex head rather than the original square headed job that can’t turn without lifting the block).

Assuming you don’t intend removing the camshaft you may be lucky after fitting the replacement gear and end up with the correct endfloat (.002”), but if not you’ll probably need to get the camshaft out to adjust the bush.

Hi, Decided to take the engine out to be safe as it had a full rebuild 500 miles ago. The gear problem is annoying, but the unit seems fine electrically. Would have been better supplied with a full set of 4 gears. I’ve changed the dist drive gear also as that had a poor tooth form. It looked like it had been rolled rather than cut. Difficult to cut new gears to mesh correctly when you don’t have an unworn one to work from. 
Hey ho The ups and downs of old vehicles. 
Regards. Kevin. 
Perhaps the most unfortunate aspect s that the very expensive big ends of most of the cars affected will now be loaded with abrasive debris. Or perhaps there has not been time to circulate.
I am surprised at the degree of wear, especially as one gear remained unchanged. I presume material and the sparse lubrication is the basic cause. Has anyone encountered a similar conflict in any other device?
Perhaps for the next API rating they could add the Seven Dynamotor test. But not much chance without ZDP.
(12-06-2018, 10:21 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Perhaps the most unfortunate aspect s that the very expensive big ends of most of the cars affected will now be loaded with abrasive debris. Or perhaps there has not been time to circulate.
I am surprised at the degree of wear, especially as one gear remained unchanged. I presume material and the sparse lubrication is the basic cause. Has anyone encountered a similar conflict in any other device?
Perhaps for the next API rating they could add the Seven Dynamotor test. But not much chance without ZDP.

Hi Bob,luckily I have an external filter fitted. I found no evidence of particles in the sump oil so hopefully will be ok. Will change oil & filter after 100 miles to be safe. My take on the new gear is a sharp edge on top of the tooth & badly shaped teeth. Added to that a steel gear of bad form will just chew it’s way thru the cast iron. I had no noise from the gears, just found damage when I checked after reading posts on here. As for Autospark, as people had said the unit was acceptable I personally feel that negates some of the blame with Autospark. It would be sad if they & other companies decided not to put money into developing and suppling parts for our cars for fear of litigation.
Just my view. Regards Kevin.
(12-06-2018, 11:18 AM)jonblob33 Wrote: It would be sad if they & other companies decided not to put money into developing and suppling parts for our cars for fear of litigation.

I am of the same opinion Kevin.

More on first-hand experiences, I have now fitted a couple more units into cars and had to remind myself on one that a working ignition warning light is essential. Without that little red light working, the alternator will not function.