The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
6V Dynamator - first hand experiences...
(12-06-2018, 05:58 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 11:18 AM)jonblob33 Wrote: It would be sad if they & other companies decided not to put money into developing and suppling parts for our cars for fear of litigation.

I am of the same opinion Kevin.

More on first-hand experiences, I have now fitted a couple more units into cars and had to remind myself on one that a working ignition warning light is essential.  Without that little red light working, the alternator will not function.

I wonder if the early gear failures are related to engine oils with reduced ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) ?

Cheers, Tony.
Id be more inclined to put it down to steel gears (new)running against cast iron originals.

Does fitting an old gear seem to have fixed the job? Or isnit too early to tell?
Since fitting the original gear I can see no signs of wear on either of the units I have on engines Hedd.
(14-06-2018, 04:34 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: Id be more inclined to put it down to steel gears (new)running against cast iron originals.

Does fitting an old gear seem to have fixed the job? Or isnit too early to tell?

I haven't ever checked but I would have thought the original dynamo  drive gear was machined from steel  ?

But I could be wrong  Smile 

Tony.
(14-06-2018, 04:34 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: Id be more inclined to put it down to steel gears (new)running against cast iron originals.

I think that amount of damage caused to the timing gear in such a short time  is more likely to be the result of the actual tooth form of the new gear being wrong in some way. If the helix angle isn't slightly "off" then the new gear's  "pressure angle" could be different to the factory item. Rolling an original and new gear across  Plasticine on a flat surface is a good way of revealing a gear's pressure angle without resorting to complicated measurement -each impression in the Plasticine should look like a straight sided rack gear with the straight side angle being the pressure angle. Knowing the why is a bit academic though really at this stage, it's just a shame that so many motors have suffered quite major damage.
Stuart - my thoughts are along the same line as yours. Could I send you one of the new gears to look at please? Perhaps you could PM me your address, if you are willing and interested?
(17-06-2018, 08:44 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Stuart - my thoughts are along the same line as yours. Could I send you one of the new gears to look at please? Perhaps you could PM me your address, if you are willing and interested?

Ruairidh,
You should have a PM.
(17-06-2018, 11:14 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(17-06-2018, 08:44 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Stuart - my thoughts are along the same line as yours.  Could I send you one of the new gears to look at please?  Perhaps you could PM me your address, if you are willing and interested?

Ruairidh,
            You should have a PM.

Great stuff Stuart - much appreciated.
Okay - round three, here we go, ding-ding!

A few of you may benefit from a few blood pressure pills before reading the latest update, deep breath and here we go, bad news first...

The gear on the distributor end of the Dynamator is faulty, most probably because it has not been hardened correctly and the form is slightly different from original.

Good news, it is easily replaced with an original and this appears to run much quieter and smoothly.

Three examples for comparison:

File slid off the Austin gear but cut into Dynamator gear easily.

Many thank to Roly, Glyn and Robert for your updates, technical support and time in allerting us to this issue.

Spread to word - change both gears for original.
I await Tony Ibbertson, s statement that they" absolutely do not accept any liability". I believe Gary Edwards highlighted this problem a couple of weeks ago with the colour of his grease . Do Accuspark actually do any R&D or just bung a product on the market.