The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
6V Dynamator - first hand experiences...
Since May this year I have driven a total of just over 3300 miles using the Dynamator (fitted with original Austin gears both ends) and Electronic distributor (fitted with Accuspark gear, as supplied) combined.

The units have performed perfectly in this period, which have included very hot days exceeding 38C, and loading the engine considerably.

To underline the purpose of this thread - it is not to advocate (or convince) the purchase of this unit in favour of an original Dynamo (that is an individual choice decision) but to share a variety experiences of using the unit on a day to day basis - warts and all.

My own experience was that, once gear issue overcome, the unit(s) performed as they should is testing trial situations for me.
The 6v positive earth dynamators we’re available the other day and being sold without the drive gear

As I have not been able to source a good dynam for rebuild in Canberra Australia I decided to purchase the dynamator. It came to just over $500 aus including postage and arrived in 4 days

I plan to fit my original gears and will report back when fitted.

Thanks for all of the info in this thread. Helps to make a
Long distance purchasing decision a lot easier.

Cheers

Geoff
(07-05-2018, 07:11 PM)LRuairidh Dunford Wrote: I am opening this thread for those who are interested in the new 6V Dynamator and want to hear first hand experience of using them.

I have had mine fitted to my Pearl for about 500 miles now and have generally been very impressed with it's performance.  I used Vince Leek's excellent wiring diagram (see: http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_a...namat.html) to install it properly on my car and use it in conjunction with an Accuspark Electronic Distributor.

First (and continued) impression is that it is a very quiet unit that makes for a very smooth and well timed engine.

On initial start up it charges around about 16 amps for the first two or three miles, after this the built-in regulator (the original cut out is no longer needed) senses the battery is fully charged and the ammeter sits at zero, where it remains unless required for lights etc.  I understand that this means the battery is never overcharged, something I know that the original Lucas units could do over longer journeys, even on summer charge.

There was some concern raised on Facebook about the unit overheating, in my experience this is not an issue as it spends most of the time not charging.  After a long hard climb this weekend, in relatively hot weather, I stopped to feel the unit, it was warm but not anywhere near as hot as the rest of the engine.

The camshaft end gear on the new Dynamator unit is identical to the original Lucas one and they can be interchanged if required (this also suggest that a supply of brand new gears for your Lucas unit could be negotiated from Accuspark, if there was sufficient interest, I suppose).

I have noticed that on no-drive (between drive and overrun), when not charging, the backlash gave a small tinkle.  I have since retarded the ignition however and this appears to have solved the issue completely.  The Accupark distributors are extremely sensitive to timing and can take some setting up, I think I have mine in a very sweet spot now.

I made two small modifications to the distributor end of the Dynamator fitting  an o-ring between the cover plate and cir-clip to stop it rattling.  I also drilled and tapped a small how to allow a grease nipple to be fitted so that I can lubricate the gears at this end, I don't think it will need much but it can now been done without removing the unit, which I like.

Interested to hear from others who have fitted one as well.

(08-08-2018, 07:28 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Since May this year I have driven a total of just over 3300 miles using the Dynamator (fitted with original Austin gears both ends) and Electronic distributor (fitted with Accuspark gear, as supplied) combined.

The units have performed perfectly in this period, which have included very hot days exceeding 38C, and loading the engine considerably.

To underline the purpose of this thread - it is not to advocate (or convince) the purchase of this unit in favour of an original Dynamo (that is an individual choice decision) but to share a variety experiences of using the unit on a day to day basis - warts and all.

My own experience was that, once gear issue overcome, the unit(s) performed as they should is testing trial situations for me.

Hi 

I am going to fit my Aacuspark Dyanmator next weekend 

A few questions.  

What type of grease/ lubricatiin did you use in the distributor gear?

The instructions for the dynamator include fitting a relay for the warning light. Did you do that?

My original drive gear from the dynamo that I plan to use for the dynamator is rough and pitted. I have another one so assume it will be ok to use on my existing timing gear.

Also the bush at the brushes end of my dynamo recently disintegrated.  Causing a nasty intermittent vibration.  I am hoping it did not affect the distributor drive gear too much.  

Cheers 

Geoff

(08-08-2018, 07:28 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Since May this year I have driven a total of just over 3300 miles using the Dynamator (fitted with original Austin gears both ends) and Electronic distributor (fitted with Accuspark gear, as supplied) combined.

Pic of the drive gears

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I always use the best dynamo gears I can find and avoid chipped and/or very worn ones.

I pack the distributor drive gears with standard molyslip grease.
(23-09-2018, 01:41 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I always use the best dynamo gears I can find and avoid chipped and/or very worn ones.

I pack the distributor drive gears with standard molyslip grease.

Thanks for that.

Did you fit the relay that came with the dynamator?

Cheers 

Geoff
I am not aware of the relay you mention, sorry.
(23-09-2018, 02:00 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I am not aware of the relay you mention, sorry.

Along with the instructions that they supply that were written by Vince, the back page has the following diagram for positive earth models.

It says failure to fit the relay will cause damage to the dynamator and or car wiring.

If yours is positive earth it may be worth asking them what the damage will be, and when they started supplying the relay.

Cheers 

Geoff

I have only ever fitted negative earth units - thanks for the heads up.
I started rewiring to fit my dynamator. 

After scratching my head and looking at different wiring diagrams online it turns out I have an ignition switch that was pictured in a big seven diagram.  It does not have F1 or F2.  (The function for adjusting charge rate is not available...  it is just a key ignition switch and light switch)

Therefore the circuit is a bit simpler.  I will draw a picture of it when the car is running again and charging tested.

Do make sure you have a working ignition light otherwise the unit won't work.