The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand throttle & cross shaft.
Huh Huh Hi all, l’m looking for an answer to what might seem a silly question. Just re set the points on my PD. Tried to rev the engine with the hand throttle , but. the lever on the column moves as normal but the cross shaft doesn’t move although the throttle works via foot pedal. Any ideas how the hand throttle connects to the cross shaft please?  
Thanks & regards Kevin.
The lever at the bottom of your steering column should have a rod connected to another lever which is fitted on the cross shaft. There is a type of dog clutch arrangement with this lever which allows you to increase the throttle opening with the pedal and come back to the previous hand throttle setting.
(07-05-2018, 05:51 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: The lever at the bottom of your steering column should have a rod connected to another lever which is fitted on the cross shaft. There is a type of dog clutch arrangement with this lever which allows you to increase the throttle opening with the pedal and come back to the previous hand throttle setting.

All levers are connected as they should be. When I move the hand throttle the lever on the bottom of the column pushes the rod connected to the lever on the cross shaft. But it is turning without turning the cross shaft. It appears that the lever is not attached to the cross shaft. Is it secured by a pin or a key? Can’t find a drawing in any of my books.
My RN has a small taper pin holding the "dog clutch" onto the throttle cross shaft. Has the lever at the bottom of the steering column slipped round a bit? It is true that the lever on the cross shaft is free to rotate and then come up hard against the "dog clutch". Either the pin has dropped out or the lever at the bottom of the column has slipped.
(07-05-2018, 07:59 PM)bob46320 Wrote: My RN has a small taper pin holding the "dog clutch" onto the throttle cross shaft.  Has the lever at the bottom of the steering column slipped round a bit?  It is true that the lever on the cross shaft is free to rotate and then come up hard against the "dog clutch".  Either the pin has dropped out or the lever at the bottom of the column has slipped.

The lever on the bottom of the column moves the lever on the cross shaft as it should but fails to turn the cross shaft. I guess I will have to strip down and investigate further. Thanks for the replies. Kevin.

(07-05-2018, 07:59 PM)bob46320 Wrote: My RN has a small taper pin holding the "dog clutch" onto the throttle cross shaft.  Has the lever at the bottom of the steering column slipped round a bit?  It is true that the lever on the cross shaft is free to rotate and then come up hard against the "dog clutch".  Either the pin has dropped out or the lever at the bottom of the column has slipped.

The lever on the bottom of the column moves the lever on the cross shaft as it should but fails to turn the cross shaft. I guess I will have to strip down and investigate further. Thanks for the replies. Kevin.
Kevin, not sure if it helps but on my RN I spent to long trying to get the gas leaver to work only to find the problem on mine is the leaver at the steering wheel end has become detached from the tube.  Easy fix I hear you all say, but I don’t have sun roof to with draw the tube, tying to decide if I can fix when the tube is half out I presume it is a solder joint?
Sounds like the brass lever at the bottom of the control tube has slipped, when this happens the lever on the cross shaft is not moved up far enough to engage with the dog on the accelerator pedal. Set the control arm in the steering wheel to shut, loosen the clamping bolt on the brass lever at the borrow of the control tube and lift it until the cross shaft arm almost engages with the accelerator, tighten clamp bolt and all should be well again.
Black Art Enthusiast
(07-05-2018, 10:06 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: Kevin, not sure if it helps but on my RN I spent to long trying to get the gas leaver to work only to find the problem on mine is the leaver at the steering wheel end has become detached from the tube.  Easy fix I hear you all say, but I don’t have sun roof to with draw the tube, tying to decide if I can fix when the tube is half out I presume it is a solder joint?

You dont need a sun roof. Just indo the steering column mounting bolts (you need not undo the drag link) and tilt down.

Use Araldite
It is a soft solder joint, I would suggest that is how you re-fix the lever, its what I do when replacing damaged tubes.
Black Art Enthusiast