The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlight Bulb
Thanks for your trouble Timothy.

I am using Monzilla Firefox as my browser.

Regards

Stuart
Stuart, as you are looking at headlights, perhaps you can shed some light on my enquiry!!
My 1932 AG tourer (short chassis, later Chummy styling) has a pair of 7" headlamps that have sort of been converted to double dipping using BPF bulbs & sidelights. However the reflector is 6 3/8" diameter, so fits where it almost touches!
I don't know if the 7" shells & rims are original (plain flat glasses held in with W clips) I cannot see any numbers ... they are still on the wings. My feeling is that they are later.The rims have the triangular "flap" at the bottom, but there is no matching fitting inside the shell, although there is a slot cut out in the right place to take the other part of the fitting with the appropriate external nut & bolt. My rims therefore just clip over the bowl & are held in by hope alone!
I would like to have double dipping, do you know if there is a suitable reflector? or otherwise an original type (part number?) available
The shells are in reasonable condition, no paint, just brass & have had decent repairs in the past; they are held onto the wings with solid bolts, the wiring coming in through a hole in the bowl that may be original!
Thanks in anticipation.....
David

Good afternoon all.

Thanks to Timothy (administrator) here is the photograph of a R47 reflector (showing the focussing steps) and my earthing device.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire.

Stuart
(08-05-2018, 05:29 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Thanks!
Mine, of course, looks nothing like that!
I will have a ferret about & look for an R47
David

Good afternoon all.

Thanks to Timothy (administrator) here is the photograph of a R47 reflector (showing the focussing steps) and my earthing device.

Stuart
(08-05-2018, 05:29 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Good afternoon all.

Stuart

That's a good idea Stuart.I soldered earth connections to the back of my reflectors prior to getting them re silvered.The hose clip is easier.
I bought Seven Workshop reflectors about 3 years ago to fit replica R47 headlight bowls and rims. They are fitted with double dip APF bulbs. Hope this might be of some use to you.
Is the Seven Workshop unit with pilot at the top or bottom of the reflector?
(08-05-2018, 08:07 PM)JonE Wrote: Is the Seven Workshop unit with pilot at the top or bottom of the reflector?

Hello Jon. The 'Seven Workshop' reflectors seem to be punched randomly by the manufacturers. I ignore the little lug on the bulb holder and slot in the reflector and turn the bulb holder round to the required position - pilot at either 12'o clock or 6'o clock then remembering that the black earth wire should point to tdc to maintain the bulb in the correct orientation for dipping.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
(08-05-2018, 05:27 PM)David.H Wrote: Stuart, as you are looking at headlights, perhaps you can shed some light on my enquiry!!
My 1932 AG tourer (short chassis, later Chummy styling) has a pair of 7" headlamps that have sort of been converted to double dipping using BPF bulbs & sidelights. However the reflector is 6 3/8" diameter, so fits where it almost touches!
I don't know if the 7" shells & rims are original (plain flat glasses held in with W clips) I cannot see any numbers ... they are still on the wings. My feeling is that they are later.The rims have the triangular "flap" at the bottom, but there is no matching fitting inside the shell, although there is a slot cut out in the right place to take the other part of the fitting with the appropriate external nut & bolt. My rims therefore just clip over the bowl & are held in by hope alone!
I would like to have double dipping, do you know if there is a suitable reflector? or otherwise an original type (part number?) available
The shells are in reasonable condition, no paint, just brass & have had decent repairs in the past; they are held onto the wings with solid bolts, the wiring coming in through a hole in the bowl that may be original!
David
Good morning David. Apologies for the delay in replying. Austin 7 headlamps are nominally 6.5" diameter, 7" suggests the common Lucas 700 series so any reflector made for these should fit your lamps. Have a look at the Paul Goff website as he might have what you are looking for.

regards

Stuart
(09-05-2018, 09:34 AM)Stuart Joseph Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 05:27 PM)David.H Wrote: Stuart, as you are looking at headlights, perhaps you can shed some light on my enquiry!!
David
Good morning David. Apologies for the delay in replying. Austin 7 headlamps are nominally 6.5" diameter, 7" suggests the common Lucas 700 series so any reflector made for these should fit your lamps. Have a look at the Paul Goff website as he might have what you are looking for.

regards

Stuart
Thank you Stuart. Helpful comments & useful website. I will see if I can find a pair of 7" reflectors only with pilot lights as I want to keep the flat glasses. At least I have an idea of what I need now!