The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
conservation rather than restoration
for those who don't use facebook, there is a web link here to some work being done on a very interesting 1928 RF...
I am going to try and get some photos of it in the next few weeks, and ask what they intend for the rexine... i.e what exactly does the owner intend for its future use in relation to practicalities in the conservation/restoration field.

https://sevenrk.wordpress.com/2018/04/25...arker-ltd/

There are a few more photos in the 'barnfind' bit on the main site...
Yum!
That is absolutely stunning, look forward to seeing how it progresses.
I had sight of this in the flesh. It is being stripped apart (with the exception of the Rexine) but EVERYTHING is staying and being cleaned and stabilised and re-assembled; nothing replaced - even the slightly broken windscreen glass with fillets of strengthening metal salvaged from an embossed Spanish storage tin. Repairs are SPAB-style, so that they can be seen against the original (i.e. a small piece of chassis welding beautifully/visibly scarfed in to the plane of the rail) ; the remains of the gum coloured screen rubber is being retained and epoxied where necessary. Topical woodwork treatment or wood replacement if necessary. A decision over whether to stay with the period Spanish oil gauge, add the original oil button as well, or return to just to the button. Really important conservation decisions resulting in a car with a darn sight more warmth than all the freshly-painted fare... this has to be the future for those few cars left we can save.
No black chassis paint; no black wheels; no blacked suspension - all cleaned down and then treated with Owatrol oil (I've just bought some) so there is a lovely sealed and treated patina of raw metal, rust and remaining paint. A real labour of love.
Incidentally, Rexine is available again, but only for the Bentley boys - it's apparently £1000 a metre and 12 metres minimum order.
Which of course is fine on a £2.5million car but an RF owner might blanche, or opt for just continuing to drive on dry days.... http://www.vintagebentleys.com/services/...-magazine/
I had some black 'Rexine' off David Nightingale. I'm not sure it's 100% authentic but it looks pretty close.
Patina...

Our car was 'put back on the road' in the '70s. The word 'restored' is inappropriate in its case.

40 years later it is developing a 'patina' all of its own.