The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Special in my Photographs
I bought this special, derelict from a shed in Derby in 1975, it was interesting in that the engine number in the log book was that of a works BlownUlster. However, that engine wasn't there (I'd love it back!), and we thought no more about that. I got the car going and used it to some good effect in PWA7C and VSCC Trials for several years. Then one day I got a phone call. It was from a chap called Ray Cutler (no, not that one) and he owned my car before the war....
I was preparing him for the fact that it was a 50s special, when he asked about the blown engine. He lived in Colwyn Bay, about 70 miles away, so I took it to see him the next day, and got a remarkable history.

My car had started life as a standard 1926  Chummy, registered to the NATSOPA Memorial Home beside Nuneaton, however in 1929 or so it was sold to one, GF Horan, who lived in Hagley, West Midlands.
The first competition record I can find is that GF Horan drove in the 1929 Colmore Cup Trial, He won a Gold, and together with JG Orton and FS Barnes, took the Team Trophy. After this, it appears that  Ben Cutler, who owned Central Garage in Hagley, was commissioned to rebody the car, to the style shown in the pre-war photographs. At this time Ulster running gear and the blown engine were fitted. The next outing I can find is JM Horan (GF's brother) drove it in the 1931 Gloucester Trial, and in 1933 GF drove in the Edinburgh, Lands End and Colmore. After this, things did not go well. Something broke which caused the blower to be removed, although the rest of the blown engine remained. After this, the Horans moved on to MGs and then Singers. The Austin passed to Cutler’s nephew, Raymond Cutler, who competed in various trials in North Wales and NW England until about 1948.  From then, it passed into the hands of the late David Rees (of 750MC fame, and a good friend, incidentally) it was he who boxed the chassis and fitted tubular cross members in 1952. Then through several owners until I obtained it in 1976, without the works engine, and wearing what turns out to have been a mk1 Rochdale body.
It is remarkable that this car has known competition history in each of the last 9 decades.

All Prewar photographs[attachment=240][attachment=240]
.jpg   Cutler Special 10.jpg (Size: 63.75 KB / Downloads: 270)

Same car Rebodied, John Rees, (Dave;s Brother) at Silverstonss circa 1952

.jpg   Donington.jpg (Size: 125.67 KB / Downloads: 257)
Me, at Donington in 1977, and on a trials hill sometime in the late 90's

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan..
Thank you for sharing that,what a wonderful timeline and cracking photos.
You may have already seen this,it'll have added significance next time I drive through Hagley.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yes thank you Alan for sharing the cars story and photographs, I love seeing stuff like this.
Black Art Enthusiast