The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noisy axle RP
(05-05-2018, 10:52 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: As a first step an untoward noise from the axle would be to drain it and see what comes out with the oil, any metal particles means a strip down.

And if nothing comes out put some oil in!
Michael,
Were you able to sort your noisey rear axle, could you let us know what the cause was?

Roger
(01-05-2018, 07:45 PM)Chris KC Wrote: If getting that bad it may be an idea to do something before it goes bang at the roadside, which is liable to be equally expensive unless you're well covered.

You don't say what your car is but Rob Leigh has a 5.25 CW & P for sale on this site, I wouldn't personally baulk at using second hand parts if they are sound. Quite likely halfshafts and even bearings can be re-used, though you may want to think about how soon you want to rebuild it again.
Just to confirm, I still have my 5.25 cwp available!
Robert Leigh
The quietest cw&p I ever had on my Nippy was the 1:5.25 pair I set up myself around 1970 without any previous experience, just using the instructions in the old Special Builder's Guide and thinned white paint as a marker. And lots of time and patience! It was really not very difficult.
Subsequent professionally installed cw&ps with sports ratios were/are considerably noisier. I hope that reducing the play by moving the diff laterally will improve the situation. I'll find out when the car is back on the road after the engine rebuild.