The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noisy axle RP
OK so I am partially deaf but even I can hear it, indeed I can hear little else.

It growls under load, it growls on the over run, it is silent when in neutral.

It has been like this for ages and I've put up with it but now it starting to annoy me.

CWPs etc are beyond my skills so...

...can anyone give me an idea as to how much it might cost to get someone else to rebuild the thing?
Depends what you had in mind, but:
A new set of gears are circa £450
A pair of new halfshafts are £ 360
New bearings will be about £200
Then you have to pay someone to do the work. Difficult to say, but a complete rebuild would probably be close on £500
It could, of course be much cheaper with used CWP and reusing halfshafts and bearings.
Alan Fairless
If getting that bad it may be an idea to do something before it goes bang at the roadside, which is liable to be equally expensive unless you're well covered.

You don't say what your car is but Rob Leigh has a 5.25 CW & P for sale on this site, I wouldn't personally baulk at using second hand parts if they are sound. Quite likely halfshafts and even bearings can be re-used, though you may want to think about how soon you want to rebuild it again.
the other logistic - whereabouts are you? That will allow people to recommend fixers near you!
I work on the principle that its quieter with the sun roof open
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll take the time to rumble my way along the coast to see Steve Hodgeson sometime.
(01-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Michael Wrote: OK so I am partially deaf but even I can hear it, indeed I can hear little else.

It has been like this for ages and I've put up with it but now it starting to annoy me.

...can anyone give me an idea as to how much it might cost to get someone else to rebuild the thing?

Michael, suggest you do something rather than nothing. There is a strong probability that it could be just the nut holding the bearings onto the pinion shaft (pinion end). They do come loose and then allow the shaft to move for and aft, or even backwards and forwards.  Just drop the prop shaft, take the six bolts out and remove the torque tube (take note of shims) remove flange then shaft and check etc.   Bobs  your Uncle
(02-05-2018, 02:50 PM)Keith Dobinson Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Michael Wrote: OK so I am partially deaf but even I can hear it, indeed I can hear little else.

Michael, suggest you do something rather than nothing. There is a strong probability that it could be just the nut holding the bearings onto the pinion shaft (pinion end). They do come loose and then allow the shaft to move for and aft, or even backwards and forwards.  Just drop the prop shaft, take the six bolts out and remove the torque tube (take note of shims) remove flange then shaft and check etc.   Bobs  your Uncle

I am sure Keith is on the money.
Do do it without delay.
(02-05-2018, 03:43 PM)Nick Turley Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 02:50 PM)Keith Dobinson Wrote:

I am sure Keith is on the money.
Do do it without delay.

Agree - once you've stripped a cw & p you won't want to do it again.
As a first step an untoward noise from the axle would be to drain it and see what comes out with the oil, any metal particles means a strip down.