The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pan head BSF screws
I'm looking for some pan head slotted screws in 1/4 BSF. All the suppliers I've tried in the US and UK seem to not have pan head screws in BSF...round heads, counter sunk flat heads, filister heads, cheese heads but no pan heads. Can anyone direct me to a supplier that would have these? They are for the dash on an Ulster rep.

Erich in Seattle
Would these be suitable Erich ? They appear to have been copied from an original Norton Motorcycle pan head machine screw.

http://www.stainlessautomotivefastenings...ts_id=5155
Thank you, Jeff. Just what I needed.

Erich in Seattle
Ebay is also a great resource for BSF, UNF and the odd cycle thread .
I believe that raised countersunk screws were originally used,as on the transmission cover and belhousing cover plates.On the dash there were circular nuts? ,(countersunk to the thread ) welded to the metal plates which bolted to the bulkhead,also through the windscreen supports.East to see,hard to describe!
Thank you Dave. "Raised counter sunk" does that mean something like an oval head? If so,how would the counter sunk portion in the sheet metal of the dash be created? Sorry if I'm a bit obtuse on this. If it were countersunk the welded nut would also need to be deep and be counter sunk as well. 

Erich in Seattle
Drill a hole, place a ball bearing on hole. Give it a thump, countersunk created.
The dashboard fixings on all my Sevens of that period (EA Ulster, RK saloons, AD & AG tourers) were raised head setscrews - this is the separate instrument panel on the AG:

[Image: 007.jpg]
(27-04-2018, 03:47 PM)Erich Wrote: Thank you Dave. "Raised counter sunk" does that mean something like an oval head? If so,how would the counter sunk portion in the sheet metal of the dash be created? Sorry if I'm a bit obtuse on this. If it were countersunk the welded nut would also need to be deep and be counter sunk as well. 

Erich in Seattle

Yes as you say on the nut Erich,and as Nick B says a ball bearing or a .drift with a 90 deg cone will create the countersink on the metal panel. A raised countersunk  is as a countersunk screw with the top slightly raised/domed.
Perhaps someone will have a suitable photo from a transmission panel or similar
Thank you Nick and Mike. Those raised head set screws appear to be what we call here, "oval head screws". I'm still a bit confused about the countersunk nut on the back side. If they were the Hank Nuts that Gould describes, the dash would fix to these, but because of the counter sunk holes in the dash, the dash would not contact the dash supports except at these nuts. Otherwise, without the countersunk holes, the dash would contact the dash supports all along the flat plate of the support.

Erich in Seattle