The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Bantam and Rosengart Questions
Hello

Was wondering if others more knowledgeable can clarify a few things regarding both American Bantam and Rosengart?

Interested to know what relationship if any the 20-22 hp 754-821cc (aka 46-50.1 cid) American Bantam side-valve engines has with the 747cc Austin 7? If they are both directly related or whether the former like the 788cc BMW 3/20 OHV engine was an all-new design developed from the same tooling as the Austin 7 unit?

Additionally beyond its role in developing the original Jeep prototype did American Bantam consider getting back into car production after WW2?

Also engine aside to what degree was the Rosengart Ariette directly related to the Austin 7? As have heard varying opinions ranging from the Ariette chassis having only a very negligible connection to the Austin 7, up to the Ariette indeed featuring an Austin 7 derived chassis (in spite of its modern post-war looks suggesting it could have remained in production for almost a decade in better circumstances via a more potent engine).
The Bantam engine was an evolution of the American Austin, they are opposite hand to the english version and the early American Austin engines remained almost identical to the home market. By the time they became Bantam there were many subtle differences handedness aside I could not find many components that would be interchangeable with a UK Austin engine. The Americans have a good web site on the cars worth checking out.
Black Art Enthusiast
(25-04-2018, 07:26 AM)Nate M Wrote: Hello

Was wondering if others more knowledgeable can clarify a few things regarding both American Bantam and Rosengart?

Interested to know what relationship if any the 20-22 hp 754-821cc (aka 46-50.1 cid) American Bantam side-valve engines has with the 747cc Austin 7? If they are both directly related or whether the former like the 788cc BMW 3/20 OHV engine was an all-new design developed from the same tooling as the Austin 7 unit?

Additionally beyond its role in developing the original Jeep prototype did American Bantam consider getting back into car production after WW2?

Also engine aside to what degree was the Rosengart Ariette directly related to the Austin 7? As have heard varying opinions ranging from the Ariette chassis having only a very negligible connection to the Austin 7, up to the Ariette indeed featuring an Austin 7 derived chassis (in spite of its modern post-war looks suggesting it could have remained in production for almost a decade in better circumstances via a more potent engine).
The Ariette engine is still the Austin 7 derived unit, despite the rest of the car looking modern. I supplied an Austin 7 late type head gasket to a friend in France who has an Ariette.
Robert Leigh
Hi Nate M
Try to read WHATEVER BECAME OF THE BABY AUSTIN? BY JOHN W, UNDERWOOD 1965 PAPERBACK, It maybe available on eBay or Amazon
There's a copy on eBay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHATEVER-BECA...SwmoVapTbZ
Thanks for the book recommendation.

One wonders how much stretch would have been left for the 821cc Bantam engine for further increases in displacement.

Aware the Ariette still used an Austin 7-based engine, however there is still debate regarding the rest of the car beneath the modern body.
I’m not 100% sure but. Rosengart started to “improve “ on the Austin design almost immediately. The LR 2 was almost identical to the 1927 Austin , rolling chassis wise. I have one from 1930. I also have a LR 4 from the same year which although outwardly looks Austin has a parallel chasssis , semi elliptical springs on the back and beefed up front axle. The engine and gearbox remained Austin looking. 
The engine from the LR4N2 starts to have things like a water pump different Ali head and water take off but still showing it’s Austin lineage. From photographs that I’ve seen the engine for the Arriette is the only slightly Austin thing about it.

Hi  It a brilliant picture. It enough to show, I believe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Hi  Its not a brilliant picture. It enough to show, I believe
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.