The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highland delivery
(24-04-2018, 01:55 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: I had an installation to do in Kingussie last week. As it was a fairly relaxed timescale I took the Ruby; a round trip of 95 miles getting back home just after lunch.

Tools and components just fitted on the back seat:

Aviemore was misty but I could just see the remnants of the snow on Cairngorm:

I took the b-road through Feshiebridge, lined with leaf-less silver birch trees:

And passed the ruins of Ruthven Barracks:

On the return journey I stopped in Carrbridge to see the torrents of melt-water under the pack-horse bridge ...

... and met these German tourists. They were more interested in the Ruby than the scenery - which was fine by me!

Final stop was at the peculiarly robust Findhorn Bridge, built in 1926.

I could have taken the modern and got back earlier but that would have been no where near as much fun!

Peter.

Brilliant post !

Thanks a lot.
Thank you all for your comments.

So sorry to hear about your mishap Russell. Drivers today lack the understanding and alertness we expect and the traffic density in cities gives little opportunity to drive at a pace that suits our cars. I spent many years commuting into central London (sometimes by Seven) and had several rear end shunts. Now I count myself very fortunate to live where I do.

Peter.
What lovely pictures.

I said to Jan "that looks like a very small distillery set up in the back of the Ruby" - and I was right.

Photos are particularly relevant to us, we should be coming that way in early June.

By bicycle, starting from Land's End. 

So I was very pleased to see how busy the roads aren't, away from the A 9.

I have changed our route on to that B road, we will take it unless completely out of energy by then.

Cheers

Simon
Always enjoy shots of the Brit and European countryside. Ancient buildings and ruins everywhere. And a remarkable network of minor roads. Here few reasonably direct alternative routes, or any, and most minor roads have been remade to suit regular  40 ton milk tanker trailer outfits and the flood of incompetent tourists from lhd countries, many with sham licences.

I have been wracking my brain for a Fawlty Towers don’t mention the war caption. ”I suspected you were kidding. I was doubtful that it is a Spitfire.” Etc. Gags about the high tech products of the UK industry in the late 30s are easier, but likely to  get me excommunicated. Did Hitler own a Dixi?

For a car primarily a runabout, always intrigued  by the sumptuous rear seat of RP and later cars.
Simon,

If you want any local knowledge, or a cup of tea on your way past just drop me an email nearer the time. You'll enjoy the roads South of Inverness - lovely scenery - but further North it gets a little more exposed and less bike-friendly.

Peter.
(26-04-2018, 11:11 AM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Simon,

If you want any local knowledge, or a cup of tea on your way past just drop me an email nearer the time. You'll enjoy the roads South of Inverness - lovely scenery - but further North it gets a little more exposed and less bike-friendly.

Peter.

That is very kind of you, Peter.  

We know what you mean, having driven up the roads in the middle, up to the North coast, in the Seven, on three JoGLE runs.

We have been out on the bikes today, battling headwinds over the Wiltshire downs.

I expect Scotland can do much worse, even in June.

North of Inverness we are going Tain - Altnaharra Bettyhill - Jo'G.

Cheers

Simon
Peter,
I am the chap pulling together the Celebrate the seven project culminating in a Trans Siberian challenge to drive from Twickenham to Tokyo in 2019 for the Rugby World Cup. We are a group of 7 Austin sevens from 6 counties. We are in communication with the British Chamber of commerce in Japan who are going to run a piece in their magazine. They have asked for any supportive evidence to the A7 Datsun/Nissan link and having read you piece in the 2016c grey mag I would love to have a chat if that was possible.
Thank you 
Chris Blakey
01225 705897
I'd be delighted Chris. I'll give you a call one evening this week.

Peter.