The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protective coating for older/weathered paintwork...
For years I ran a brush painted 1950s car. The brush work was not discernible but the enamel much less durable than modern car paints and, parked all day outside, it needed polishing every few months. Hard work as oxide film formed. The car was superseded and ended up outside with mild intention to reuse one day. About once a year I washed off the oxide and wiped with cloth dampened with boiled linseed oil. Much less effort than polishing. Although it soon oxidised, the underlying paint remained very good for many years.
Thank you Bob, much appreciated.
(23-04-2018, 08:47 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(23-04-2018, 01:30 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: The rain still beads weeks later, just as if it had had an expensive wax job.

I live in Glasgow Colin - this has a different meaning here and your only saving grace is that it was expensive!

Thank you everyone - this is very helpful to me, I will report back how I get on.  

Great Stuff!

Apologies if I have inadvertently lowered the tone!
Only if it had been cheap Colin, only then! Big Grin Big Grin
Ruairidh I am very keen to see pictures of this wee gem, before and after you have worked your conservation magic!
Black Art Enthusiast
To be clear - the car, yes?
Yes the car....the less we see of any other wee gem the better!    Big Grin
Black Art Enthusiast
It's not that lovely rusty-hued but solid ebay Box saloon, is it, Ruairidh...?!
Dad used a mixture of engine oil and paraffin on our trails saloon, works a treat once it "dries off" a bit.

[Image: UG47OiNRF5EUa6rqi842GEbx9QiI2shgctlUVq7M...0-h1562-no]
Old army trick, looked good for a while, enough while the vehicle inspection was happening, but then a trip down a dusty road......
Need to do it again!
Diesel & petrol mix was another favourite...