The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protective coating for older/weathered paintwork...
Ruairidh

Ankor wax is a good product, but be aware that it sits on the substrate, it does not penetrate. I use it on the firebox and burnished steel of my traction engine over the winter. Because of this I experienced corrosion under the product on the firebox. I cured this by mixing clean engine oil with it, approx 50/50. It still 'goes off' but it penetrates the metal etc. I am told the similar Ankor D product does penetrate, but I wasn't going to buy 25 of the bloody stuff. Both clean off easily with paraffin/diesel. But are waterproof. I painted the chassis of the Green microplas special I had with this, and it gave an excellent finish to what was a well painted chassis but with minor rust here and there. It dries dark brown. Looks like brown boot polish. And you can put a fair thickness of it on, particularly on horizontal surfaces.

Another product I have used a lot is 3in1 spray oil. The lighter parts evaporate, leaving a dry film of rape oil, which is brown, but does give an excellent protection given the thickness. I use it on the burnished steelwork where the steamer is sheeted over, but outside between events. On a rusty or dark car this would be ideal. The film comes off fairly easily with paraffin and a scourer pad if you want.
I ordered up some Ankor Wax and it arrived yesterday.

I have tried it on a small area of the paint and it works really well, very pleased. Thank you for all the suggestions, I have noted them for future reference.