The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas 12V cut out
Hi All,

My car(Ulster rep) has been converted to 12 v using a Morris Minor 1000 cut out. The car is physically in the UK(I'm in Seattle) and realized I'm not sure if it is fused. Looking at what I think is the same cut out on Ebay, it appears that there is a single fuse under the cover. Is this correct and is this all I need, or should I consider a separate fuse block? In photos of original Sevens, which are obviously 6V, there appear to be two covers, one for the cut out and I assume the other for a fuse block. Will one fuse answer my needs, or should I try to find a 12V cut out that has a fuse block under a separate cover?

Erich
Undocumented conversions can be a puzzle let alone when an ocean away. Wiring depends somewhat on which model based on.
Later Sevens have a field fuse associated the original 3 brush system, and one or two others. The Cornforth diag (Dorset club) for Ruby may be helpful. The previous  RP model had no fuse for ign items. Do not confuse spare fuses in photos with working fuses.
There may be more than one Minor 1000 arrangement but early have one fuse  for horn and interior light, and the other for non critical items controlled by ign switch (stop lights, trafficator). Both mounted separate from the regulator unit.
The 1000 cutout is mounted with the regulator mechanism; presumably you have the whole affair with the regulator somehow adapted to the field winding and functioning. It has been stated that pulse action of electro mechanical regulators rattle the timing gears of Sevens.
If it's the usual Lucas voltage control/cutout used on Morris Minors (a Lucas RB106 model IIRC) there are no fuses in the unit itself. Although it's likely the dynamo has been converted to two brush operation, it's quite simple to wire the RB106 to operate as a cutout only if the dynamo is still three brush.