The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AE Chummy Hood
I am working on a newly purchased AE Chummy there are some issues with the hood frame and rests, This is a model I am not completely familiar with. Firstly the rests do not appear entirely correct for an AE I have seen some which are quite different This is early 1930, perhaps later cars changed? Second the hood frame does not fold and sit nicely in the rests, it is obvious some of the frame is bent, but I have no reference to check it against, and the wooden front rail appears that it could be slightly too narrow forcing the bows inward too far? The rear hood bow has a shaped pressing attached, it this correct for an early AE, the very original car in Mills appears different, but I don't have a clear picture, the leather securing straps are also missing 
Has anyone got an AE they could photograph and measure for me?

.jpg   DSC06418.JPG (Size: 257.17 KB / Downloads: 300)

.jpg   DSC06423.JPG (Size: 289.73 KB / Downloads: 300)

.jpg   DSC06422.JPG (Size: 265.92 KB / Downloads: 300)

.jpg   DSC06421.JPG (Size: 274.47 KB / Downloads: 299)

.jpg   DSC06419.JPG (Size: 203.38 KB / Downloads: 301)

.jpg   DSC06420.JPG (Size: 247.58 KB / Downloads: 302)
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian,

The hood rest and rear moulding are correct to the car.

The hood frame should be pushed down at the front and clipped under the bit I have circled below - the top part of the hood rest is then used in a similar fashion to hold the rearmost part of the frame down (I can rarely get that clip to work successfully however).

.jpeg   8F47C418-F0E9-49F8-9364-BCE75BBA444C.jpeg (Size: 267.61 KB / Downloads: 246)

These hoods are larger, when stowed, compared to the earlier cars.
Hi Ian my AE is in whangarei. I’m Away at the moment in the South Island but I’m starting the trip home tomorrow , let me know the measurements you want and I try and get them in the weekend for you.

Bryan
Thanks Rory and Bryan, I could do with knowing what is bent on this frame, currently I have spring the frame to get it past the body, I am sure that is not right. A few pictures of a hood frame that stows correctly would help, preferably without the envelope, confirmation of the dimensions of the wooden front rail and the shape of the irons that attach to it would also help. There should also be some leather straps which secure the hood stowed, these are missing so details allowing me to reproduce them again would help. Should the body brackets have a rubber buffer similar to the AD bracket, and how does the hinged clip work?
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian , photos of my 1930 (August) AE, it has the early hood rests

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Ian , photos of my 1930 (August) AE, it has the early hood rests