Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 speed ball change gear lever
Has anyone got a useable ball change 3 speed top please surplus to requirements?
Indeed, does anyone know if an earlier one will fit in its place?
thanks
(17-04-2018, 07:40 PM)JonE Wrote: Has anyone got a useable ball change 3 speed top please surplus to requirements?
Indeed, does anyone know if an earlier one will fit in its place?
thanks

No I haven't got one but an earlier gate change will fit. There are two three speed ball changes, one with a reversed change meaning first is marked on the opposite side - both will fit the standard three speed box if you don't mind the reversed marking and you will soon find if you have a left hand first box.

Cheers, Tony.
ah, Tony, that is very interesting. Have you or others got experience of what the feel of the earlier and later top are like in comparison? I believe the later one is a longer stick, but does it fulfil any great purpose or evolution?

I know it sounds a bit naff, but I quite the look of the earlier top...
(18-04-2018, 07:25 AM)JonE Wrote: ah, Tony, that is very interesting. Have you or others got experience of what the feel of the earlier and later top are like in comparison? I believe the later one is a longer stick, but does it fulfil any great purpose or evolution?

My Austin Seven Standard Sports (Latrobe) with dropped steering wheel needs the long shaft of the ball change bent down to a good height so the knob falls nicely to hand and is easy to use- the standard gate change would be very difficult to reach with the low dashboard and seat set back and low on the floor.

There is a long lever gate change but I haven't seen one other than in pictures and it probably wouldn't be easy to bend down.

Tony.
(20-04-2018, 08:08 AM)Tony Press Wrote:
(18-04-2018, 07:25 AM)JonE Wrote: ah, Tony, that is very interesting. Have you or others got experience of what the feel of the earlier and later top are like in comparison? I believe the later one is a longer stick, but does it fulfil any great purpose or evolution?

My Austin Seven Standard Sports (Latrobe) with dropped steering wheel needs the long shaft of the ball change bent down to a good height so the knob falls nicely to hand and is easy to use- the standard gate change would be very difficult to reach with the low dashboard and seat set back and low on the floor.

There is a long lever gate change but I haven't seen one other than in pictures and it probably wouldn't be easy to bend down.

Tony.
The 27 saloon has a short lever gate change and I spent months hunched forward recently. The solution I thought would be a long lever, but that hit the dashboard. When I arrived in Australia I fitted a Stadium extension which just bolts to the short lever with no drilling. This comfortably falls to hand and I can sit up, I only lean forward to grab the second knob when selecting reverse.  happy days,  Russell
all very interesting. I am imagining a Stadium extension is a period accessory? It sounds like what I need to do first is bend this semi-broken one around and see what happens in use. (It sounds like unless you are an Italian, Alfa Romeo-fitting long-arm-short-leg sort of person, the short lever might be something to pass on...)