The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof edge sealant
I'm just about to re-roof my RP  saloon, so need to find a suitable seal for the edge of the roof where it sits in the metal body.

There's a bewildering array of acrylic, silicone and other products.  This is a difficult area as the product  needs a long life withstanding high temperatures, UV, differential movement, vibration,and water!

Any recommendations for the best product(s) gratefully received
Might be worth a call to Sika to see if they have a technical department?

https://www.sika.com/en/solutions_produc...nding.html
I have always used this David: https://www.thecampercoshop.com/index.ph...gIw0fD_BwE
I rank Sika technical as i was after some sealant for a wood bead on my living van. The stuff they recommended has stopped the paint that I've overpainted it with going off.

Ahould have used Tiger Seal. Never had any problems with that.
When I did mine 18 years ago, I used a black closed cell neoprene stip, about an inch wide and 1/8" thick - thinking that it would be easy to dismantle again. However, this has never been necessary. It has never leaked.

Regards
Colin
I've tried a variety of modern sealants on our 3 RN saloon fixed rear roofs, all of which worked for a couple of years and then started to leak. I finally used what Austin's used black bitumen sealant with total success over 15 years, I jut hope I don't have to remove them.
My neighbour carries out camper van conversions. He uses Sika 221 to attach the pop-up roofs. Its very tough indeed - I helped him cheese-wire off a damaged roof one day and thought we were never going to get through it! I can't vouch for it's longevity though as he doesn't keep them long.

Peter.
Go to your local boat shop and ask for deck sealant - its made for rough weather hot and cold.
I used black house gutter mastic from. B&Q to fill in cracks in the old sealant on my RP about 8 years ago and it is still flexible, crack free and firmly attached.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thanks for all replies - looks like sikaflex or tiger seal