The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message for Martin Prior
Martin I appear to have received a spoof email from you which suggests it may have been hacked.  Apologies if you have already been told.

David
(13-04-2018, 11:06 AM)David Witton Wrote: Martin I appear to have received a spoof email from you which suggests it may have been hacked.  Apologies if you have already been told.

David

Thanks, David.

Password change time, yet again!
(13-04-2018, 11:34 AM)Martin Prior Wrote:
(13-04-2018, 11:06 AM)David Witton Wrote: Martin I appear to have received a spoof email from you which suggests it may have been hacked.  Apologies if you have already been told.

David

Thanks, David.

I also got one but on closer inspection it isn't from Martin's email address. It looks very much like it is and it was personally addressed, but the email address ends in "@netins.net", which is not the service Martin uses.
This doesn't necessarily mean that Martin's email account has been hacked. It's actually a very simple matter to configure any email client, e.g. Microsoft Outlook, so that the sender's address is shown to be whatever you choose for outgoing emails. So, if I were to set up my own email client with Martin's address as the sender address, the recipient would think that it originated from Martin. If the recipient chose to reply, that reply would of course then go to Martin and not to me.
(13-04-2018, 12:55 PM)Ian M Wrote: This doesn't necessarily mean that Martin's email account has been hacked. It's actually a very simple matter to configure any email client, e.g. Microsoft Outlook, so that the sender's address is shown to be whatever you choose for outgoing emails. So, if I were to set up my own email client with Martin's address as the sender address, the recipient would think that it originated from Martin. If the recipient chose to reply, that reply would of course then go to Martin and not to me.

Thanks Ian.  That makes sense, even to a technophobe!  I like to think that with fairly regular password changes and paying loads of money to a well known internet security company should keep me safe!
(13-04-2018, 12:13 PM)Dave Prior Wrote:
(13-04-2018, 11:34 AM)Martin Prior Wrote:

David

Thanks, David.

I also got one but on closer inspection it isn't from Martin's email address. It looks very much like it is and it was personally addressed, but the email address ends in "@netins.net", which is not the service Martin uses.

Several people, all members of this forum, have reported receiving these emails.  

Although the mails are personally addressed to forum members and are signed with my name, they are NOT from my address.  "buildingsbespoke" is mine, "@netins.net" is not.

I wonder whether someone has "legitimately" obtained these details by posing as a genuine member of the forum. 

Apologies to anyone who's received one of these, but I don't think that the leak is from my account, or that it's within my control.  If the address contains "@netins.net"  don't open it, it's a scam.