The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Ruby is home (pictures)
The new Ruby is home. It is a 1936. [Image: The_Rig.JPG]

The Rig

[Image: Fan.JPG]

[Image: Dizzy.JPG]

[Image: Carb.JPG]

[Image: Head.JPG]

[Image: RH_Block.JPG]

[Image: Fuel_Pump.JPG]

[Image: LH_Inside.JPG]

[Image: Dash.JPG]

This is going to take a few messages.....

[Image: LH_Door.JPG]

[Image: RH_Door.JPG]

[Image: Top_Wood.JPG]

[Image: Termites.JPG]

Termites

[Image: R_Window.JPG]

[Image: R_Floor.JPG]

[Image: Wheel.JPG]

[Image: F_Brake.JPG]

[Image: R_Brake.JPG]

[Image: Under_Rear.JPG]

Maybe more.......

[Image: Under_Front.JPG]

[Image: Back.JPG]

[Image: RS.JPG]

[Image: Windscreen.JPG]

[Image: RF_Wing.JPG]

[Image: RH_Side.JPG]

[Image: Front.JPG]

[Image: LF_Wing.JPG]

[Image: LH_Side.JPG]

[Image: LR.JPG]

And...

[Image: RR.JPG]

[Image: Headlamp.JPG]

[Image: Lense.JPG]

I need a ring for one of these.
Lovely!

In need of a bit of TLC, but nothing there that sets off the alarm bells.  Apart from the roof, it all looks very original - a great buy!

The engine IS 3-bearing - the bolt head on the side of the crankcase above and to the left of the fuel pump is the giveaway - and it has a high-compression cylinder head.

PS - Commercial break time - Please PM me if you need replacement woodwork.   I looks as though the worms have been busy!
Big Grin 
Good morning.
Thank you for sharing your photos of what would be an exceptional find in the UK let alone the USA.
I am intrigued by the off-set D type rear lamp as the usual fitment is an ST38 'Pork Pie' lamp fitted on the centre of the spare wheel cover above the number plate.  Are there any filled holes in the spare wheel cover to suggest that one was fitted there?
The head lamp glasses are also incorrect but I have original 'tear drop' glasses available.

Regards from the pot hole county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Stuart the tail light bracket is an export arrangement and is spot welded on. In New Zealand it is on the other side of course . In Australia where chassis were imported for local body production, we don't have them.
Regarding the headlight lens, did left hand drive countries have  different refraction patterns or just turn the UK ones upside down?
 It's perhaps worth reminding us which way the UK lens is orientated, cup or dome?  cheers  Russell
Intrigued by the floor covering in the front footwells - is that something which has been put over to strengthen rust weakened areas, or is it an original covering of some type?
(10-04-2018, 09:28 AM)squeak Wrote: Stuart the tail light bracket is an export arrangement and is spot welded on. In New Zealand it is on the other side of course . In Australia where chassis were imported for local body production, we don't have them.
Regarding the headlight lens, did left hand drive countries have  different refraction patterns or just turn the UK ones upside down?
 It's perhaps worth reminding us which way the UK lens is orientated, cup or dome?  cheers  Russell

Good morning (evening/night in NZ). Thanks for the information about the rear light.
I fear your thinking is too sophisticated for the headlamp glasses of the 1930's, they were designed to diffuse the light so as not to blind on-coming traffic (very prescient with the discussion about modern lamps) and did not  shape or bend the light beam unlike modern glasses.
The tear drop glasses fitted to Austins were fitted in a cup orientation yet other manufacturers fitted them dome orientated.

Regards

Stuart
Martin, it does need a little love, I'm there for it. The roof's fabric was new, 40 years ago. It has shrunken and needs it again. I did get the seats. They too are crunchy. I'm having mixed emotions about my 3 main engine. It is of correct vintage. Once I have a list of wants, we can talk about wood. The car was in Florida. No road salt, plenty of creepy crawlers. Stuart, I was pulled in to this by the car's condition. I wasn't looking for a Seven, there was no way I could let this one slide away. I don't know about the originality of the lighting, sure does look appropriate. I do need one ring for the headlamps. He found them in a box on a shelf (luckily), He is looking for the ring. The bumpers, instruments, door handles and various sundries are at his home. He said he had them refinished. He is to ship me a box with these, and some new tires, upon his return. (Fingers crossed) Jon, the floors are solid. They are covered in tar paper. It is crunchy and peeling of. I'll probably strip it all off. Perhaps it was sound deadening. I may put new back in.
One hinge pin is broken and the doors don't hang very well. There are a few rusty bits, mostly out of sight and easy fixes. The engine turns over easily with the crank. I'll probably rehab the carb and have a go at it. The shifter moves and the steering turns the wheels. I'm sure there will be plenty of issues but, so far, so good. I haven't had a chance to look very hard, what does the key to open the boot look like ? He said the tire/wheel was in there. I can't wait to see what else is hiding with it. There is not much wiring visible, I'm likely in for a harness. Thanks for your input, I am pleased with my new acquisition and I am looking forward to it's return to service. Mike
(10-04-2018, 12:45 PM)FrogPond Wrote: Martin, it does need a little love, I'm there for it. The roof's fabric was new, 40 years ago. It has shrunken and needs it again. I did get the seats. They too are crunchy. I'm having mixed emotions about my 3 main engine. It is of correct vintage. Once I have a list of wants, we can talk about wood. The car was in Florida. No road salt, plenty of creepy crawlers. Stuart, I was pulled in to this by the car's condition. I wasn't looking for a Seven, there was no way I could let this one slide away. I don't know about the originality of the lighting, sure does look appropriate. I do need one ring for the headlamps. He found them in a box on a shelf (luckily), He is looking for the ring. The bumpers, instruments, door handles and various sundries are at his home. He said he had them refinished. He is to ship me a box with these, and some new tires, upon his return. (Fingers crossed) Jon, the floors are solid. They are covered in tar paper. It is crunchy and peeling of. I'll probably strip it all off. Perhaps it was sound deadening. I may put new back in.
One hinge pin is broken and the doors don't hang very well. There are a few rusty bits, mostly out of sight and easy fixes. The engine turns over easily with the crank. I'll probably rehab the carb and have a go at it. The shifter moves and the steering turns the wheels. I'm sure there will be plenty of issues but, so far, so good. I haven't had a chance to look very hard, what does the key to open the boot look like ? He said the tire/wheel was in there. I can't wait to see what else is hiding with it. There is not much wiring visible, I'm likely in for a harness. Thanks for your input, I am pleased with my new acquisition and I am looking forward to it's return to service. Mike

What a great find!

Please check the crank before turning the engine over, the three bearing cranks are often broken across a centre web, which doesn't stop them turning over by hand.

Cheers

Simon
Simon, I'll make sure the crank is in one piece before I throw the coal to herSmile Thanks, Mike
Looks like a nice project Mike. You can get to the boot lock by pulling the rear seat forwards, or use a large slotted screwdriver. The original was a square-section carriage key, with either a t-shaped or L-shaped handle.

Peter.