The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Miles RIP
(12-04-2018, 12:16 PM)JonE Wrote: Charles - where can we get these steering arms?! Perhaps a separate thread called for...

Hi Jon,

I will speak to Alan and see if any drawings etc might be available. My bits were supplied and fitted by Alan about a year ago but I’m not sure if he still has parts or any plans to continue supplying them.
Basically it involves fitting Rose joints and extending the steering arm by 20% which lowers the ratio and helps reduce bump steer. On my special, previously, a bit of rough road would have me all over the place at speed but with this mod it steering gets a bit more predictable. Some would say this lessens the experience of driving an Austin Seven and I have kept the original bit on a shelf — but I shall not be putting them back on the car in a hurry!

Charles
(12-04-2018, 12:16 PM)“JonE Wrote: Charles - where can we get these steering arms?! Perhaps a separate thread called for...

Hi Jon,

This is a good question but not easily answered. I’ve just spoken to Alan about this — problem is that there is no one design that will fit all and, essentially, it is is necessary to treat each car individually as spring setting amongst other factors determines how it’s set up. They are really designed for cars with lowered front suspension. The problem with supplying a kit is who takes responsibility if it’s not fitted correctly and someone has a mishap.
He does have a few of the extension brackets and if anyone is interested they can email me and I will pass on details but it will be on the basis of buyer takes full responsibility.
There are a few of these out there in use and someone else may be able to add more than my two penny worth.

Charles
John was an interesting chap, with a mind blowing technical knowledge of chassis development. Asked what car you could have if you were only allowed one, his answer would be: an Austin Seven. Says a lot that a man who reached the heights of formula one would return to a car like the seven. He will be missed.
I bought a set of red 15" wheels on eBay from a chap in Norfolk a year or two ago... Far from just chucking them in the boot of my car, he invited me into his home and took real interest in the Silverstone. I didn't know anything about John's history. He was very keen to explain how he'd measured and improved the stiffness in the front end of the seven chsssis and also how the gearing of the steering could be improved. I only wish I'd had more time to talk with him. On the topic of the long steering arm, John suggested I try shortening the arm on the steering box for a similar effect... I'm still considering how to do this safely...

Only now, reading the interviews and obituaries do I realise just who that quiet unassuming gentlemen was. 

Rest in peace John.