The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
VHI & MOT exemption changes
With the extension of MOT exemption to all cars over 40 years old on Saturday May 19th, pre 1960 vehicles will lose their automatic age based exemption.

If you wish to retain Mot exemption after that date it will be necessary to claim in the same way as newly exempt 1960-1977 vehicles by completing form V172 (which is not yet available?!) declaring that your car meets the requirements to be considered a Vehicle of Historic Interest (VHI).

The key point of the declaration is that the vehicle hasn’t been modified outside the new acceptance criteria in the last 30 years. See https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...idance.pdf

Its a self declaration process without independent validation so this the only useful help from official sources. Presumably it will be necessary to make the declaration every year when renewing VED, hopefully just by a tick box.
The exemption form is V112 and is available here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...n-from-mot

But the form has not been updated and still has the category "pre 1960 vehicles.
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Does this requirement to fill out this form
apply to pre 1960 vehicles already on the road , with
valid V5C ‘s and MOT and tax exemption, or just for newly
Registered VHI vehicles?

DVLA have not, as far as I know advised vehicle owners
about this change?

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
My understanding is that you'll have to complete this declaration at your next tax renewal. It would be nice if it was integrated into the renewal form on line, but that involves joined up thinking at DVLA ?
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
(09-04-2018, 08:16 AM)MartinH Wrote: The exemption form is V112 and is available here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...n-from-mot

But the form has not been updated and still has the category "pre 1960 vehicles.

My interpretation is that V112 is now superceded by V172 but that it has still unavailable on line. I have yet to check at my local Post Office.

(09-04-2018, 09:04 AM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: Does this requirement to fill out this form
apply to pre 1960 vehicles already on the road , with
valid V5C ‘s and MOT and  tax exemption, or just for newly
Registered VHI vehicles?

DVLA have not, as far as I know advised vehicle owners
about this change?

Bill G

They will when the fine for using a pre 1960 vehicle without an MOT and not registered as MOT exempt under the new regulations  arrives through the letterbox ! If not declared as unmodified and MOT exempt the DVLA will assume it requires an MOT
Its no big deal. If its like where I've been before with all my MOT exempt vehicles. The first time its probable you will be unable to tax on line.

So you go to the post office. fill in the V112 (or equivalent), the Post office give you a reciept. And the self declared exemption goes on the computer and from that day onwards you can tax it online.

Not such a hassle.

I expect the V172 if it isnt a type will simply be a form to self decalre VHI. You may therefore have to self decalre twice V112 V172 the first time.