The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Badly Scored Cylinder
(09-04-2018, 05:39 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Not sure what your blower is (Roots type?)Is it any good,it could be taking as much power to drive it as it produces.Is  drawing oil though the s/c causing it to burn oil?
Dave, I presume it's one of these:

http://www.vintagemgparts.com/article5.html

Regards, Stuart
(09-04-2018, 08:32 PM)stuartu Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 05:39 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Not sure what your blower is (Roots type?)Is it any good,it could be taking as much power to drive it as it produces.Is  drawing oil though the s/c causing it to burn oil?
Dave, I presume it's one of these:

http://www.vintagemgparts.com/article5.html

Regards, Stuart
It’s that one yes - mk22 GM cabin blower. Central pressurised oil feed. It does use a bit of oil but I suspect it is mostly leaking out of the sides rather than burning! Blower running at 1 1/8th engine speed, it should be worth having it there, if it’s running right, it’s certainly not worth it as it it is right now! Looks like a complete engine rebuild tbh. Thanks all ?
Is this the same as a J 75 Stuart?
If so I think they take quite a lot of power to drive them.
If its in a trials car the carb will need a good air filter.
I think it's Godfrey's cabin blower version of the J75, Dave. I've got one kicking around somewhere. I will be interested to hear how Wills gets on, I had a vague idea of using mine with the Grasshopper drive you machined for me....eventually!

Regards,
Stuart

Wills, do you have a boost gauge on your car? I would be interested to know at what rpm you see atmospheric on a steady throttle opening.

Regards,
Stuart
(10-04-2018, 09:12 AM)stuartu Wrote: Wills, do you have a boost gauge on your car? I would be interested to know at what rpm you see atmospheric on a steady throttle opening.

Regards,
Stuart
Im afraid I don’t have one, but think it’s a very good idea for when it’s back together. I think in the meantime I’ll be running the car unblown with a spare engine I’ve got lying around.
William - is this the engine from Barry Clarke’s Grotty Chummy?
HI Wills,

Just a suggestion before you strip the engine down  check the cam timing with a Degree wheel & dial gauge also check valve lift,
As you need to know what camshaft has been fitted,  when you have that information and post it on this Forum you will receive some very good advice on its suitability for your application .

PS  When you said it was Smoking was that from the Exhaust or just from the breathers.

All the Best
Colin
NZ