The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a Nippy project needs a caring new owner
Tony I think we have our wires crossed, I do not see why you would think I am "being more and more hostile to my replies on verious threads." far from it I actually believe I have been supportive of you on several occasions recently!
I also believe on this occasion you need to read things more closely, where did I say that you were in the business of stripping cars for parts, I actually said that I am sure you are not! My comments in this area are aimed at the mercenary few who do this and advertise, as you say, on a certain auction site. What I disagree with is looking at the restoration of a car based on the financial return verses the cost, very few cars get restored properly for a profit, and further more that is not the reason most do it.
Black Art Enthusiast
(07-04-2018, 09:16 PM)JonE Wrote: I see the red one has now appeared on ebay with a particularly poor, uninformative advert....
Ah well, this will at least be "interesting".
If anyone is the slightest bit interested I'd still just make contact direct as I could quite see this getting pulled or changed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-Nipp...3195629737?

I mailed the seller when this post went up, no reply.
Having seen photos on ebay this is a wreck with wrong engine, and wrong wheels and prob smaller parts missing.Now on ebay the seller has lost any chance of control to what happens to it.
He says he inherited it, he’s selling it so prob not that bothered what happens to it.
If this was broken up would that really matter, particularly if it made several other Nippy’s
More complete or original.
It would be prudent to count the cost of restoring basket cases,how much original car do you end up with anyway.While this is a hobby for most of us it seems daft to spend hundreds of hours on something that is worth less money than you spent on it.
I agree with others who say buy something already running, then you can enjoy using it, and tinkering around with it.
I have restored a couple of basket cases, so I feel I can speak from experience.One of them took me 30yrs on and off, If I had bought a better car I could have enjoyed using it.Someone has to restore them I suppose, but my age and experience has changed my viewpoint.
One tries to help people, and...

To be fair, I think it does have a lot more of the parts which we would all care about - screen, hood and frame - but it's just crazy not having them researched and promoted, and leaving a picture of a completely wrong rear facing starter engine in an open-ended, undefined "offer". Ah well.

I've made the point that it's sly to stick up an auction and expect use the Nippy archive as a conduit for contacts to circumvent.. so have taken down the direct contact.
(07-04-2018, 07:16 PM)JonE Wrote: Tony  - I don't think there is an asking price, just that owner was pointed out the goalposts "set" by 1. other project cars, and 2. a two letter 4 number registered sports chassis and perhaps 95% of parts (admittedly, not proven Nippy engine parts yet) having a base line value. I personally think that's more than the 3k you mention - but perhaps to those who aren't dealers, just because things like ebay have seen similar going through at 5 to people wanting to start that laborious restoration and part finding process on something a bit more rare?

I agree with your point that, whole, restored, cars are a darn sight better value if you value your time and have the wonga to use... but a lot of us are learning all this as we go along, and inevitably, make things happen through a huge commitment of voluntary time and buying lots of little essential stuff (that never gets properly added to lists)!

Perhaps clubs could have a role in this sort of thing like the green 65 or this red car? (or perhaps they already do) A lot of resources go to printing things which don't really warrant printing in the grander scheme of things (i.e. social stuff which could be done at an even more local level). Could funds be better used, with a small consortia of interested parties, to take occasional cars from 'endangered' to 'just on the road' before being put onto the market with just base costs added on? Would that be a better thing for posterity?
thank you thank you thank you jonE,
alot of what you have put here hits what i am thinking.

and would like to see happen.

sorry im not the wordsmith to put this forward in writing.

but ill try to explain with a car ive had work done on, and have to finish. tomorrow.

tony
Well, first of the nippy looks to be sold.

Let's see witch on line, well known pre war breaker. That never gets any abuse on this forum has it.
Hi JonE

I got your PM but not the email, the Scottish Nippy currently for sale is one of two that the owner has I know him as he was my architect for two big building projects.
I assume they are both on the Nippy Register already.

Regards
Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
If you want to know if I rescue cars, or strip them.

Here is my latest rescue, I've lost the photo of the car when it came to me. They are on the old forum, as the bits of red body in the back of my van. Maybe someone can rescue those pictures for this thread.

I can't clain to have done all the work myself, as I don't have the time.

But this car came to me HALF complete, with its original paperwork for 1930. And an IDEAL CANDIDATE FOR AN ULSTER REP. I bought it seriously cheap and could have made a massive profit selling the parts seperate to Ulster builders.

please note earlier in this thread, were I say sellers of these unrestored recks need to sell them for less. If they want the new owner to build them as original cars. (Maybe there needs to be legal paperwork made up, giving restrictions on what the can be rebuilt as).

Because this pile of bits cost me £700. The decision was a lot easier to restore. Than profiting from more Ulster reps. The total rebuild when we finish fitting the uphaulstry is around £12,000

As I say cars usually cost more to rebuild than they are worth.

But once finished, and in my museum, there is no reson for it to be anthing else.

[attachment=2533]

And don't geet ME wrong here, I'm not against Ulster reps. I've had them, I have another to build in the barn.

But my point is if cars are going to be broken for Ulsters, let it be the seriously rotten. That have a very small chance of ever being restored at all.

Also for you people in larger country's than the UK, you may have more room to DRY store your old treasures. In the UK with all the new building works, most of these cars in poor condition are now stored outside, and if they are not built into something, anything now. They will only rot down to chassis anyway.

Tony.
Couldn’t agree more , Tony.
I’d guess a large number of amateur restorations fail because work is required which is outside the capability and pocket of the average enthusiast. A professional restorer isn’t going to be interested in spending £12k on an RK Saloon - there’s no profit in that.
So we are left with theoretically restorable cars that either can’t or won’t be taken on by either side of the game.
Alan Fairless
Tony - your pics are here..this one and the one accessed from right arrow...
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Ruai...uanBn/?ref=

actually, in quite a good thread on RK door handles, which I'll reboot as a new thread!

p.s. red Nippy back up!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/austin-7-nipp...3196812132?
Hi jonE,

Thanks for putting the pics up.

I had to store this parts car for two years, wilst I found the half that was missing. Yes they were all the rear bits. And raise the funds to pay for work to be done.

As i sed above, I had very little time to put into the RK above myself. Mainly because of running the business of austin 7 spares. Although I can make time in the future by helping people less I guess. 
Like reckers, ( very quick with the spoon to try stir things ).
I think he has contacted me 4 times over the last couple of years for small, low value parts, that are hard to get. And cost more in time to sort than payment is made From them. 2 items I couldn't help with as they are to hard to get and keep on the shelf. 
Out of the other two I could sort out. One of them I didn't even chass the low value payment.
A lot of time spent there trying to help.

In future, that time will be better spent.

For your future records, I'm not a scouser, Im from Norfolk. Read the news. WE DONT ARGUE, we get even. Big Grin