The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This could have ended badly
Just removed the drop arm from a late model steering box, the crack is not visible from the outside and would be difficult to see with the drag link attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers

Mark
I have seen these go before Mark, usually when parking - the late ones seem more prone to it.
I have been accused of discouraging enthusiasts. Yet we have had from others tales of multiple broken cranks, stub axle failures, numerous failed rear axles, burst engines, horrendeaously rusted bodywork and now this!

The ones that  fail at other than parking speed tend not to be heard about. The car and occupants are often  immediately written off, and even when not, usually depart the Seven scene pronto.

Tugging on the steering wheel when stationary was widely recognised as bad practice but younger generations have not heard that. I suppose the later arm could be fitted with a safety cover plate much as was sometimes applied to front steer arms.

When hemmed into a tight space it is prudent to get out and pull the wheels around by hand instead of heaving on the wheel. (Persons are more burly than in the 1930s) However tugging is a test of sorts. My father used to avoid so on his car broke underway.

Many cracks can be seen. Our local RSA (a community social club) has an old Seven based dirt track car in the foyer. The steering arm is nicely painted but the crack is visible!!
I had one of these fail - in 1979! My 1939 Ruby was traveling at about 10mph and I was turning right across a queue of traffic on a Saturday morning in Bath. I lost steering (not surprising really) and hit a Vauxhall Viva HB in the area of the front O/S wheel. The Viva was extensively damaged, the whole front moved across 3 inches. The Ruby had a bent starting handle and a broken headlamp glass, which I was upset about as it was an original!

Motto, if you have a late car, check this area for cracks regularly!
As these late model drop arms seem to fail, has anyone made reproductions with a bit more meat on them?
Cheers

Mark