The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easier/quicker gear changes
When I approach a corner at speed in my Ulster rep I want to change down from 4th to 3rd to take the corner quickly. However it won't go into 3rd. I'm guessing it won't go in because the revs are still high. Anything I can do about that? I do like to drive the car hard!!
Cheers
Rich
(01-04-2018, 09:44 AM)wooster Wrote: When I approach a corner at speed in my Ulster rep I want to change down from 4th to 3rd to take the corner quickly. However it won't go into 3rd. I'm guessing it won't go in because the revs are still high. Anything I can do about that? I do like to drive the car hard!!
Cheers
Rich

Get a 3 speed box ??
Rich, you sound as bad as my French girlfriend Avril, who could never get it into first. I used to tease her about it.
I can get it into 3rd but only by slowing down more. And I don't want to slow down!
Have you tried double de-clutching? It will match the engine speed to the gearbox and you should be able to engage 3rd gear without difficulty.
Yes I am double de-clutching. Guess I need more practice. Thinking of fitting a short-shifting kit too.
"Guess I need more practice."

Or a closer ratio box, maybe super accessories ratios?

Regards,
Stuart
Perhaps rev harder in neutral on the downshift.
Jim
A short shifting kit will not affect the revs but a heavy boot will! It took me ages to suss that the difference between engine and transmission speed was so great that a hefty footful of throttle was required for a smooth double de-clutch.
Well, a standard gearbox isn’t a lot of help for quick gear changes. I’d use a set of Nippy ratios for road use - you can buy new ones. However, if you have a standard flywheel, you really need to lose some weight from it. Quite a lot, in fact. A search of the old forum should reveal how.
Alan Fairless