The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Block
Can anyone please tell me the height of a Standard Engine Block ?
Regards,
Tod
(29-03-2018, 05:57 PM)Tod Wrote: Can anyone please tell me the height of a Standard Engine Block ?
Regards,
Tod

I suspect you want this to see if it has been ground. So in thou.......

If not: 4 13/16" by my tape measure

Simon
Apologies for replying in mm but 3 in my possession measure 122.39, 122.44 & 122.375. Couldn't possibly say whether that is standard or not though.

(4 13/16" = 122.2375 mm )
Hi Gents, Thanks for the replies but I was hoping for the standard factory size as I need to Check a block.
If the top face has not been ground there should be factory inspection stampings and usually valve numbers
Black Art Enthusiast
Some years ago I had to replace the block in my special. I found a decent looking block, bored +20 and with the factory inspection markings and valve numbers still stamped on the top. Only when I came to assemble the engine did I find it was 30 thou shorter than the one I was replacing. I used a copper spacer gasket to make up the height.

Sorry Tod I know this doesn't help you - but it does raise an interesting question as to why not all blocks were the same.

Peter.
Being a cold snowy morning here I decided it would be a good workshop day where it is nice and warm.
Based on Ian's message I had a very close look at the block and found a very feint stamping on the top face, it looks like, BA or perhaps 9A within an oval boundary. The valve numbers are also quite feint but obvious. Likewise faintly on the base there ar 2 feint stamping which look like a 1 within a diamond shaped boundary. I took it from this that the block was standard and had not been machined. I measured it with a 4-5" micrometer and the readings were between 4.807 - 4.809". From this I would reckon the standard size would be as previously suggested 4 13/16" or 4.812" with a + - tollerance. Thanks to all who contributed.
Tod