The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake Shoes
Simple question, does the efficiency of brake shoes deteriorate over time. I bought new linings in 1978 - yes, 1978, but the car was not on the roads until 1999. The shoes have only done about 10,000 miles and are dry (Not contaminated) and have plenty of wear left in them, but would new shoes improve braking ??

Anyone out there have an opinion on this?
Bob Humphrey  (1932 RN saloon in SW France)
HI Bob, Simple answer no, If the wear is even just scuff the lining with a wire brush and readjust as you have no contamination.

Cheers Colin
Hi Bob, are you the same Bob who used to live in Addlestone, with a wife called Georgie ?
Hi Bob
I have found that the later type of lining material (woven) is better than the earlier resin based materials. They're available from our usual sources.
Bruce.
Reckless, there not better enough to warrent re-lign a whole car with perfectly serviceable linings already fitted!
Friction material manufacturers keep their formulations a closely-guarded secret so it's hard to give a generic and definitive answer to this question. I'd cast an eye over them and discard in the event that they show obvious signs of deterioration such as cracking or crumbling. For normal A7 type use I imagine they'd be fine, if they are clean and oil-free. Replacing bedded with unbedded linings is a clear step backwards.
Hi,

I changed out my Girling linings last year. They were on the car when I got it and dated from the 50/60's - the part number was still on the friction face so were newly installed then and I saw no reason to renew them even though they were undoubtedly woven asbestos. But they worked very well. Once down to the rivets I had a new set bonded on, of some admittedly unknown material and friction properties. They stop OK but if I was being a pedant maybe just not quite as well as the originals. It's your call but if they work OK and still have some thickness left; for the mileage most of us cover I'd suggest you stick with them and have another check in the future.

Dave
20 years ago - but when building a special to race - I was recommended a supplier of linings to the vintage motorbike racers with a lining with a very high wear rate but "superior performance". Not sure if that was stopping power or ability to cope with higher temperatures without fading.

Are there choices out there for Austin 7 linings?
(29-03-2018, 12:58 PM)DavidL Wrote: 20 years ago - but when building a special to race - I was recommended a supplier of linings to the vintage motorbike racers with a lining with a very high wear rate but "superior performance".  Not sure if that was stopping power or ability to cope with higher temperatures without fading.  

Are there choices out there for Austin 7 linings?
I can't answer for available options but would comment that such things are always a trade-off; "superior performance" in one area usually means inferior performance in another (noise, wear rate, grab, judder, stability, or at the very least cost). Racing linings are designed for racing and unlikely to be best choice for the road.
(29-03-2018, 06:38 AM)jonmilne7@yahoo.com Wrote: Hi Bob, are you the same Bob who used to live in Addlestone, with a wife called Georgie ?

No, but by co-incidence I bought a '38 Ruby from a guy in Woodham Lane Woking in about 1964 and My '32 RN from a chicken farm in Send near Woking in 1975.  I used to live near Chobham until we married in '74.
Bob

The reason for asking is that many years ago, we had an Austin Metro with appalling performance disc brakes. The pads weren't worn, but at least 10 years old. I changed the pads and was amazed at how good the brakes were after new pads fitted. - Same discs, didn't need to bleed the brakes, so no change there, just the front pads.
BobH Ps - good to "see" you again Bruce.