The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
New member - Wanting an Ulster body
(02-04-2018, 11:16 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: I wonder if eventually some not very good specials will be back converted into the useful comfortable and family friendly saloons they once were?

Entirely likely, I think.

We have a lovely, solid Mk2 Ruby body that we rescued from imminent scrapping.  I'm just waiting for someone to throw out one of the hideous unfinished "Waterski" specials (discussed on the Forum a couple of years ago) to use as the basis for a bit of reverse engineering.
(02-04-2018, 10:46 AM)Robert Leigh Wrote: My Ulsteroid started with a late Ruby chassis which was shortened, and in this case 'spread' at the rear so that a late axle could be used, so it is now short wheelbase. It has the first of the Gould grp bodies, but for various reasons was not completed until the end of 2002. When it came to registration it had a V5, so I informed the authorities that it now had a tourer body, and this was accepted without question. I don't know whether the same could be done today. I believe that the most competitively priced Ulster style bodies are offered by Compound Curvatures at Nottingham, and they are available off the shelf sometimes.
Robert Leigh

Just found this - 1934 Austin 7 Ulster EA Sports Replica Starter Kit. It has been for sale for a while but I assume that it is still available:-

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=43813
Having run three RN saloons and one Cambridge special I wouldn't swap the saloons for a two seater unless it was a tourer, the saloons are more comfortable and can be driven all day without having to get out every couple of hours to straighten my legs. I can get all manner of things in the saloon such as wheelbarrows and bicycles which I can't in the modern. I've even managed a good night's sleep in the saloon.
I have a photo of you fast asleep in one of your RNs in Glen Coe Dave.

The late Tony Russel used to sleep in his B Coupe, across the way. Tony was not exactly tall but this is still quite an achievement.

Many years ago an elderly Australian came to stay with us for a few nights. He had with him a handwritten book illustrated with drawings and photos of a trip he undertook in his Seven, along with his family, into the Outback. He had converted the Seven into a camping car which they ate and slept in. We have tried to locate the gentleman, even his name, without success - the book would make a fascinating publication.
If that kit is still for sale and you want an Ulster body I'd snap it up PDQ. You could sit on the rest of the parts and restore them slowly to do an eventual double body transplant and end up with both saloon and sports for the best of both worlds.
What about a sports saloon with a detachable roof?

The ideal compromise?
I'm still thinking about the van roof that goes onto a tourer... I'm always filling my ORT with junk.
Duple made a tourer/van body.
(02-04-2018, 09:41 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: If that kit is still for sale and you want an Ulster body I'd snap it up PDQ. You could sit on the rest of the parts and restore them slowly to do an eventual double body transplant and end up with both saloon and sports for the best of both worlds.

have you seen the dates on the comments for that car? Those adverts on that site are generally years old!
Out of interest, how much IS a Compound Curvatures body? There is nothing on their site except MGs... 
How do they differ from the Rod Yates item?

(03-04-2018, 12:06 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote: I'm still thinking about the van roof that goes onto a tourer... I'm always filling my ORT with junk.

Pictures please! That sounds excellent. I've often though that a superlight clear plexiglass lid, like Lady Penelope's car top construction, but one piece... would be perfect for the top of a chummy or Nippy. Good visibility, makes it more permanent and so on.

Anyone know anyone that could do it and anyone interested in a co-funded project? (The only trouble with this would be that all the cars would be slightly different...so you couldn't make them as run)
(03-04-2018, 08:53 AM)JonE Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 09:41 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: If that kit is still for sale and you want an Ulster body I'd snap it up PDQ. You could sit on the rest of the parts and restore them slowly to do an eventual double body transplant and end up with both saloon and sports for the best of both worlds.

have you seen the dates on the comments for that car? Those adverts on that site are generally years old!
Out of interest, how much IS a Compound Curvatures body? There is nothing on their site except MGs... 
How do they differ from the Rod Yates item?

The (non-transferable) registration number quoted in that advert is now taxed until December 2018, so it looks like the kit was sold years ago!