The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mulliner Wood Frame Construction
(31-03-2018, 10:29 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Hi Ray,

Wish I had known this when I did my Ruby woodwork 20 years ago - yes, all the screws were steel and rusted.

And to those patiently reading this far through the thread, please forgive the loose screw as we finally reach April 1st.

Colin

At least we found that you can buy left handed metal thread screws - which I would have thought had no use - or was this an even more elaborate elaborate April Fools Day joke  Smile

Cheers, Tony.
And also that everyone is so POLITE in the Austin Seven world...

Happy Easter.

Colin
(31-03-2018, 11:35 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(31-03-2018, 10:29 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Hi Ray,

Wish I had known this when I did my Ruby woodwork 20 years ago - yes, all the screws were steel and rusted.

And to those patiently reading this far through the thread, please forgive the loose screw as we finally reach April 1st.

Colin

At least we found that you can buy left handed metal thread screws - which I would have thought had no use - or was this an even more elaborate elaborate April Fools Day joke  Smile

Cheers, Tony.

As there are other left handed products on their site, I would be surprised if it is an April Fools Day joke, too much work for the few people that might find the sile.
I don't think the screws themselves are any sort of joke; rather their use in a coach building capacity.  I have never heard of them being used and I fail to see the benefit.  There have of course been some odd methods.  In a previous restoration of my Swallow saloon the rear wings were attached with wood screws as normal but instead of using washers, 2p coins with a holes drilled through were used. I understand defacing the currency is a criminal offence? Blush
Well, it depends when it was done - The Coinage Offences Act (1936) was repealed in 1981.

Colin
Definitely during the  1970's - so a bit naughty.  Dodgy

The new fixings are supported by cup washers which I think looks great.

I still have a bag of defaced coins just as a reminder and part of the car's history.
I love the idea of someone being appalled by the price of washers and making their own from coins. An advantage in not rusting? We're now so used to decent plating or stainless steel items being available.
I wouldn't have minded if the previous owner had put the money towards having the engine rebored. In what must have been a case of hope over experience, they fitted new standard pistons to badly worn bores. The result was the engine would start and tick over beautifully but lacked enough power to move along at anything more than walking pace. In an attempt to hide the problem they had removed the clutch pedal!
When I fixing up my car in 1999, an old guy across the road called Cecil offered various advice.  One thing he suggested was to use an old penny instead of a replacement core plug on the front of the block.  He said they used to do this because the core plugs cost 2d, so it saved them 1d.  I used a 1917 penny and it was in for many years - but eventually changed it for a normal core plug when I noticed it was leaking a bit.

Colin
(31-03-2018, 04:48 PM)DavidL Wrote: If I was putting a brass screw into hardwood I'd put a steel one in first, take it out, then put the brass one in.  Doesn't seem like a faff as using "proper screws" is such a rare treat now rather than the modern super sharp pozi drive types.  

Does (did) anyone wax screws before putting them in?

Wouldn't entertain a Phillips or Pozi head anywhere near any of our cars.. ugly things,useful for plasterboarding and suchlike though.
LH screws.. never seen the like before but how wonderful they were available along with an almost endless selection of sizes and head types.. only use Nettlefolds on framing from the box they come in to the lovely quality of the screw a delight to use.
.. and yes Dave,always use beeswax prior to fitting,it's only proper  Big Grin