The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Period wire ties
I've got modern plastic wire ties on my car. Does anyone know what was used in period? Was it cloth tape over the armoured wiring, or something else? I'll note my Velocettes used John Bull rubber ties, and somewhere in my noodle, I remember a thin aluminum type that slipped through a slot on the other end and was bent over.

Erich in still not spring Seattle
Hi Erich,

Hope these photos help. Mostly half round metal clips with a bolt through a tab on one side, and Bakelite bridges up the front of the bulkhead.
Metal clips are readily available from vintage auto suppliers.

Nick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Nick,

Thank you. I have the bridges, and will order the half round metal clips. I had thought there might be some free floating ties that would bundle wires together but not attach to any part of the car.

Best,

Erich
Nick's is 1933 - slightly later cars had black leather loom clips (doubled over and bolted on one side only) in the bulkhead area only.
What period are you re-creating to? Look in the Rinsey Mills book for pics of James Anderson's Ulster for instance.
Erich,
Your car is a 1930s Ulster type like mine. I used Chris Goulds book "how to build a 1930 Ulster replica "which shows the 3 bakelite saddles on the top face of the firewall. These are available from one of the usual A7 suppliers. I made mine out of an old black lavatory seat. The P clips are steel and are on the engine compartment valances,both nearside and offside. These are also available to buy but if not are dead easy to make. I attached mine to the valances with 2BA screws. Afraid I used plastic wire ties at places not immediately visible.
Afraid I used plastic wire ties at places not immediately visible.

Infamy!
Infamy!

Send him to the galleys!

We keep you alive to serve this ship, so row well and live.
Your eyes are full of hate, forty-one...

(Sorry, time for my meds)
Search "vintage motorcycle cable ties" and you will find rubber and aluminium ones in the images that be suitable for you.
(27-03-2018, 03:08 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Erich,
Your car is a 1930s Ulster type like mine. I used Chris Goulds book "how to build a 1930 Ulster replica "which shows the 3 bakelite saddles on the top face of the firewall. These are available from one of the usual A7 suppliers. I made mine out of an old black lavatory seat. The P clips are steel and are on the engine compartment valances,both nearside and offside. These are also available to buy but if not are dead easy to make. I attached mine to the valances with 2BA screws. Afraid I used plastic wire ties at places not immediately visible.

bakelite saddles made from an old black lavatory seat I can live with, but the thought of P clips is making my eyes water!
I can see at least three rusty p clips on that bulkhead picture so are they original?
In my experience those clips were used across the LWB range Reckers.