The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auction price
Wink 
I know it only takes two to make an auction but just look at how much this Opal made at Brightwells' Bicester sale last week. Lovely patina, but even so, £11,200?!

Lot 267 here:

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-moto...1st-march/

If anyone wants mine for £11,199 do let me know...[Image: wink.png]

.jpg   opal.JPG (Size: 21.64 KB / Downloads: 501)
You have to wonder is the registration plate added to the final Auction price, I hope not but in this day & age everyone wants a personalised plate.
Oh, and don't forget on top of the £11,200 hammer price to add the 10% buyers premium followed by a further 20% VAT, so the buyer would have paid a total of £14,784 for the Opal. I notice that an admittedly fairly rare 1952 Austin A40 Sports - its engine having been rebuilt in 2005 cost its buyer £18,480 including B.P. and VAT.
Mmmmm.

i did go to the auction.

but after seeing stoopid paying bidders from previous auctions, i came away very early. (work to do).

if you like, i could see what was to come.

the opal was stoopid enough.

but the A40 sports was just mad, the car looks well restored. but it had brocken its back. neither doors would close. so all that work would have to be done again to put it right.

most of the cars were real bags of c r a p. 

and the hype through the media probably didnt help. or even the auction suggesting affordable classics.

personaly i was there to look at the classis estate cars, for myself. but only 2 were worth having after doing the worrk. the engine wouldnt turn on the vauxhall velox, and the floor was very thin and covered in underseal on the vauxhall delux.

if they were as suggested, from the jaguar museum. they were in there for one reason only. they were no longer road worthy, or worth making roadworthy.

never mind, theres plenty more fish or even estates in the sea. tony
Nearly time for insurance renewal, what value for a really good one. (For agreed value purposes)
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Before you get excited,

Remember the opal was a cheaper made car, I beleive £100 in the day. And the Ruby Cowles always attract less interest than a nice bit of shinny chrome or nickle.

I've seen really nice ones struggle to get £8k.

If the excitement was over an oily rag car, then it's worth storing your car out in all wheather for the next 10 years, then putting it in auction.

Tony.
I've got a friend who went to a 'moderns' auction recently and ended up paying more than main dealer price just because he got carried away with a 'rare' special edition. And several others - or at least one! - must have done the same thing, which guaranteed disaster.

But the key thing was that, for private individuals, buying cars at auction is not efficient because of the fees structure.

Bet the owner of DAT was happy, anyway. Amazing what a few daffodils being out do for a softtop...
Does this mean that selling at auction is the best option?
Hi Ray,
Interesting question.

For me, I'd say if you have a rusty old pile, then a big yes.

If your car is mint, and expected to fetch the top end. I don't think you would get anywere near its value, so NO.

Tony.
Chevette HS seemed reasonable. Small car + Big engine = Fun