The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Arms. Are forward facing available?
It would suit what I'm planning if the steering arms could face forward. So the question is; can they be reversed and maintain the correct Ackerman or are forward facing arms available?

Thank you,

John
(24-03-2018, 01:54 PM)John Bonnett Wrote: It would suit what I'm planning if the steering arms could face forward. So the question is; can they be reversed and maintain the correct Ackerman or are forward facing arms available?

Thank you,

John

To maintain the correct Ackerman angle with steering arms facing forward they must also face outwards with a longer trackrod. People have done this with non-standard components, but the standard ones are unsuitable.
It depends what Ackerman you want. Which is influenced by what the car will be used for. There are many views on the subject though. Makes interesting reading if your into that sort of stuff.
Many current hill climb single seaters have bags of it, 130% is not uncommon. 100% being the theoretical back axle intersection, so well forward.
Chapman built some cars with next to no Ackerman.

Paul N-M
Big seven arms will give you more or less what you ask for John, however as standard they will foul the spokes on a regular A7 wheel (Big 7 used pressed steel wheels ) Many folk heat and bend them to solve the issue, which of course will alter the Ackerman % but it may still work for what you intend to do.
Black Art Enthusiast
Many thanks for your replies. I'm thinking about using a Hillman Imp rack and pinion steering and although I can source a lhd rack, a rhd might be better which would need the forward facing arms. It has been done before and the photo shows a car with a steering rack fitted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)