The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 Road test
While looking up about bodywork for another thread I found this in “ modern motor repair and overhauling” which I thought may be of interest
( although I have loaded the photos in slightly the wrong order !)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(13-04-2018, 05:28 PM)Viteran Wrote: While looking up about bodywork for another thread I found this in “ modern motor repair and overhauling” which I thought may be of interest
( although I have loaded the photos in slightly the wrong order !)

It's a fascinating period publication. We've got 4 volumes of it and there are several articles relevant to 7s, from basic maintenance to performance upgrades and accessories.
The disturbing thing is that  adjustments were necessary at such a low mileage. It would seem the cars were supplied with significant steering play. Many claim nil play worsens wander.

MPG improves markedly as engines warm up.

It is not clear just how much pressure was applied to the brakes. Or if the handbrake was pulled as well.
The 63% or worse with just driver typical of older tests and owners experience, although with current linings on pre Girling sytems many claim to lock wheels suggesting the ability to attain 90% or so. Moderns achieve 100% and more (at low pressure!)
The legal requirement including for laden 50 tonne trucks is 50% from low speed. These vehicles have the advantage that others take care to keep out of their way whereas approaching Sevens are regarded as harmless.

Vehicles with only 50% braking are unnerving to modern drivers. Near double stopping distance. In this country a few 2 wheel brake Yanks still on the road  to the 1950s; for these 40% would be an acheivement.

Braking ability of laden busses was usually very modest. Powerfull brakes were considered a threat to passengers, especially standing.

I think it is in the same series of books,  also a somewhat fanciful article on extracting more performance.
What carb is on that car? Its not standard