The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVK Van. Where's the fuel tank?!
Martin , I am sure on Barrys Van you did the woodwork for the fuel filler is on the left.
Thanks, Colin.

Your second photo looks like the real thing.  The first picture is of a not-very-accurate replica; the floor level is too high, and the spare wheel should slot into the "letterbox" above the position shown.  The timber framing is nothing like the original - photo 2 looks correct in this respect.

(09-01-2018, 10:12 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: Martin , I am sure on Barrys Van you did the woodwork for the fuel filler is on the left.

Yes, Nigel.  No doubt about the side.  Jeff's photo shows Barry's very original van.
That's the problem with t'internet; I found loads of photos of 'Ruby' vans, and even a quick glance suggests most of them are not factory originals. Interestingly, the Parts Lists do not identify any variations on the standard petrol tank, so presumably the standard units fits somehow ...
(09-01-2018, 10:21 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: That's the problem with t'internet; I found loads of photos of 'Ruby' vans, and even a quick glance suggests most of them are not factory originals. Interestingly, the Parts Lists do not identify any variations on the standard petrol tank, so presumably the standard units fits somehow ...

A friend showed me a rather exotic looking tank he wss taking to Beaulieu a couple of years ago. From memory it was very similar to a Ruby but was wider (front to back), had a gentle arch to the top surface and a markedly different filler neck. I saw the same tank a few weeks later outside in Dave Wilkinsons Southern Seven's graveyard. He'd bought it from Andy and bid me play a game of guess the model...  I couldn't guess but Dave was adamant it was for a late van.
Late Ruby van petrol tank...

Typical! The one occasion I could make a sensible contribution to the Forum and I was away from the computer. As you can see from Ruairidh's photo the tank has an very different profile to the standard Ruby. This enables it to sit lower in the chassis but using the standard Ruby mounting position. The sender unit is mounted on the rear face instead of on top which gains another inch or so. And yes, the filler's on the left! I did think about using a Big Seven tank which is also a left-hander but you'd still have the height problem.
My project is another replica but I'm trying to make it as original as possible - I'm very grateful to Ian and Ruairidh for their help with sourcing the tank, and to Martin and Dave for the woodwork.

Alastair
(10-01-2018, 06:40 AM)Alastair Wrote: Typical! The one occasion I could make a sensible contribution to the Forum and I was away from the computer. As you can see from Ruairidh's photo the tank has an very different profile to the standard Ruby. This enables it to sit lower in the chassis but using the standard Ruby mounting position. The sender unit is mounted on the rear face instead of on top which gains another inch or so. And yes, the filler's on the left! I did think about using a Big Seven tank which is also a left-hander but you'd still have the height problem.
My project is another replica but I'm trying to make it as original as possible - I'm very grateful to Ian and Ruairidh for their help with sourcing the tank, and to Martin and Dave for the woodwork.

Alastair

Thanks - This is starting to make some sense now!  We'd mocked-up the layout and had come to the conclusion that if the tank had been fitted in the usual position it would have to be no more than about 4 1/2" deep and so it would appear.
Martin If you need measurements I can crawl under my 39 van for which you did the woodwork. The tank, as per Ruairidh's photo, is much flatter than the standard Ruby tank and of course outlets on the nearside with the sender at the rear.
And it may be worth speaking with Dave to see if the one Andy sold is still sitting out by the path to his chickens. He didn't have any plans for it iirc.
(10-01-2018, 05:03 PM)David Waller Wrote: Martin If you need measurements I can crawl under my 39 van for which you did the woodwork. The tank, as per Ruairidh's photo, is much flatter than the standard Ruby tank and of course outlets on the nearside with the sender at the rear.

Hi Dave.  Many thanks for the offer.  I'm sending you an email.

(10-01-2018, 08:17 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: And it may be worth speaking with Dave to see if the one Andy sold is still sitting out by the path to his chickens. He didn't have any plans for it iirc.

That sounds intriguing Nick.  Can you tell me more?