The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Winter project
I've been working on this one over the winter.

The roof on one of the store sheds was getting dangerously close to collapsing, with the door and window frame already rotten.

I'll guess the shed is around 6 x 8 foot. Not big.

But we started emptying beginning of December, well tracy started as I was out of action.

And here is what we have.

[attachment=1700]

[attachment=1701]

And now the shed is empty, apart from an old wooden bench.

I finished emptying between Christmas and New Years.

Now we have around 6 ton of spares in the garden wilst we waite for the builders to come in.

[attachment=1702]

[attachment=1703]

[attachment=1704]

[attachment=1705]

Here are some pics of what came out, roughly covered.

There were some 300+ front hubs
Over 100 starters and dynamos
Over 200 cylinder heads
Over 40 wheels didn't even know they were in there.
Over 50 diffs.
Over 200 exhaust manifolds.
Over 200 brake drums
Over 100 clutch and flywheels
Plus plenty more.

A lot of heavy iron, looks like ebay could be busy with 4.99 items in January.

I'll update this when the building repaires are done, so items can start going back in.

Tony.
Something wrong here.
they only made 300,000 Austin sevens and you have a good proportion of them here. if released to the market prices will plummet.
I have a similarly large pile of bits here in New Zealand.. They must have sold well here also.
Whats the bet that once you get them back in the shed, someone will want the item right at the bottom.
How do you keep tabs on what you have ?
Anyway Happy new year, I always enjoy your posts !
Hi Steve,

Some good questions.

Yes over the last 25 years most of this country's spares, and a lot of other country's spares have passed through these sheds.

One main problem is a large number of car parts are sort after. So they don't sell from one year to the next.

Just start with front hubs, over 200 came out of this shed, I've not been able to get in through the door for spares stacked 5 foot before you got to the shelves. This means in the last 10 years I have trays in other sheds wich im sure will have another 200 to 400 others in them.

What's to be done with all the common parts.

Hopefully when everything goes back in, it will be on shelves only.

As for knowing what's in there, as I sed above I've not been able to get in there for 10 years. Well only if I was prepared to go climbing.

Tony
wow, thats quite some parts, I have a hillman imp at the moment and store quite few "useful" parts for the future... I spy some chassis in the background, could be interested dif ne was u for sale in the new year? thanks Phil.
I notice increasingly similar scenes these days - lots of parts worn out and consigned to the “cannot throw it away” pile.

To get the good stuff you also have to buy the crud or commonplace. I predict more lots like this as collectors pass on.

Have a garage sale Tony, everything £2 - I am seriously considering such for the bits I will never use!
(31-12-2017, 07:00 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:   I predict more lots like this as collectors pass on.

IM NOT DEAD YET Huh

Happy new year R.

There is a 6 x 4 trailer there already full for the scrap man. As I go through things I'll make a second pile for the scrap man.

And yes the chassis are all for sale, all 15 of them.

But please don't tell the management, they will move this thread to sales and wants.

I'd rather show the build, and hopefully what ends up back in the shed.
Stories of your demise appear to have been greatly exaggerated, so it would seem, thank goodness!

Have a good one Tony, a very happy new year to you and Tracy as well.
(31-12-2017, 08:06 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: There is a 6 x 4 trailer there already full for the scrap man. As I go through things I'll make a second pile for the scrap man.

surely someone must want an Austin-themed rockery with all those blocks? You coud have Seven-style plants in it - Ruby Chard, clipped Box and CatNip(py).
I once heard of someone using LC heads as pavers!
Black Art Enthusiast
(01-01-2018, 11:13 AM)JonE Wrote: surely someone must want an Austin-themed rockery with all those blocks? You coud have Seven-style plants in it - Ruby Chard, clipped Box and CatNip(py).

... and you can add CUPflower and SWALLOWwort.

... and ARROWroot, too!