The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
If it has the 2199cc engine like the 100/4 then it will be an A70.
Yes I just spoke to the owner this morning and you are right it's a 2199cc motor so smaller than a 100/4 but I think the same basic engine and it is an A70 ute (here) or pickup for the rest of the world.
Cheers

Mark
Drove to the local Sheffield Area meeting last night; only gone half a mile when there was a big bang and the rear wheels locked up  Sad

Opened the bonnet expecting to find evidence of a broken crankshaft ... but nothing.

The fan belt had disintegrated and wrapped itself around the camshaft pulley - the engine was locked solid  Huh

Five minutes later and three blood-stained fingers, and I was on my way  Smile 

Wow! Never heard of that before Mike. I bet you were glad it was nothing worse...
Also luckily A7s have robust timing gears, if they had been fibre they would be shredded.
Cheers

Mark
Had a similar experience with a broken fan belt. I thought I could smell something as I was driving along, but was unable to pull up for about a mile or so, by which time the smell had gone. Found that the fan belt had parted company at the join and had wrapped itself round the cam pulley. hence the smell. It was at this time that I found that the unidentified 'tin tray down stone steps' noise that has been part of the Seven's character was due to a seriously worn fan pulley. both pulley and belt have now been replaced. The little car now runs like a sewing machine (albeit of the industrial type.)
As the man who merely came second in class 3 at the Silverstone Autotests, my congratulations once more to the winner, Scott, who would look handsome on the podium, if there was one. The water leak was investigated, and the process perhaps inevitably resulted in both studs smoothly coming out of the block.  Before cleaning everything up and putting them back in with locktite, I looked up the forum, finding much discussion of the desirability or otherwise of stainless bolts etc. However the car had to be mobile the next day so reassembly took place. The Ruby was needed for a nav rally recce, we care not about subjecting entrants to single or even double chevron ascents, occasional engagement of first is part of the fun. However downhills are seriously considered, and the route changed if sufficiently steep to cause abject terror for the navigator.

Thought I would take the special to lunch as the weather is perfect at the moment but only made it to the end of the road when the gear stick went all floppy and I only had 3rd or 4th so a U turn and went in the modern instead.  The back bush on the Eltos had worked loose so decided to make a nylon bush to replace it, mainly to make it quieter, a big disadvantage with these remote gear linkages is that they transfer the noise from the gearbox to a place much closer to your ear.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers

Mark
40 odd each way run to Curborough to watch the VSCC playing. Lots of Austin Sevens. 2 miles from home the Chummy started to lose power. Cup of tea later I went to investigate. Nothing wrong. I think it was overcome by the heat. I suppose at 92 years old you can forgive it.
Alan Fairless
Just been for a 20 mile tootle in the RP. Uneventful but satisfying. Checked the speedo accuracy with a digital gps speedo app on my phone which shows it to be not that far out and within 10% certainly up to 50mph, which will do for me!