The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1932 Saloon Restoration
(12-02-2019, 07:24 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I knew I had some of those brackets somewhere. The rear most gutter fastening is a bolt and nut the rear side window frame top member is too thin for a wood screw, you can just see two holes in the wood one is for a screw to secure the vertical timber to it, the other is for the gutter bolt.

Great!

So I guess a machine screw with nut on the inside for the most rearward mounting for the gutter. Then wood screws to the front. 

The bracket right at the top of your picture is the one I have above the door.
Those are very interesting, Dave.  I assume that it was something that was tried for a while and then abandoned.  The wooden brackets used on all subsequent models(???) from at least late 1932 probably had the virtue of being made out of offcuts and therefore free.  They certainly provided more per roof!
All I know are RNs however, I will check my mate's 1933 RP on Saturday Martin. That's another job waiting for me, fit it's headlining but it can wait till warmer weather.
Is WiandeV's car an RP or RN.
Dave - My own car is an early (December '32) RP and that had its original wooden brackets.  The RNs that I've had intimate hands-on experience of were late ones and also used timber.  Your brackets certainly appear to be original and are similar in character to the metal connectors used in RKs - although perversely not in the roof (or were they?), at least in my experience. 

If you get the chance, some measurements would be very useful.

I think that from Wian's first post, he wasn't certain as to whether his '32 car is an RN or an RP.

At the risk of infringing Ruairidh's copyright, I've attached the photo that he sent me a couple of weeks ago of the bracket in his car.  

Comparing this with Dave's pictures, I'm pretty certain that it's a more modern replacement, perhaps fabricated from square tube, of the flimsier, pressed original.  This led me to jump to the wrong conclusion!

Joking aside, Ruairidh, I realise what a minefield it is, trying to compile "definitive" information getting on for a century after the event.  Mr Purves has my heartfelt sympathy!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I do agree Martin.
    I think that the steel brackets are original, because they were riveted to the roof before the roof was fitted to the body, you will realise that if you try to remove one from the body. They got in the way when I was removing the rotten rear side window frames when I was replacing them. The three loose ones I have came from this, it was so rotten it was easy to get them out. They are a steel pressing.
Now THAT'S my sort of restoration project!
I've just examined my RN which was manufactured in September 1932 and first registered in October in London. It is a 4 speed model with the 1933 model features as Austin used up the old bodies before the RP bodies went into production. My car has the steel brackets ( tested with a magnet) as I didn't want to remove the headlining! This confirms my vague recollection of these brackets before I replaced the headlining about 30 years ago. My car has the flush fitting sun roof rather than the later Pytchley type that sits above the roofline at the front.
Ashley
    Here's another view of it, this is what is known as a long term project.
Photo 
Hi Guys

Okay so I was in my shop and could tinker a bit.

First I stripped the paint off the old gutters using a local fairly potent paint stripper. It worked quite well and after about 3 rounds I won the battle against the 9 layers of paint that was on there. Came out quite nice after a quick sand and a test fit I couldn't be happier. This is on the Driver side as the off side I was still busy with the wood piece above the door. 

I got steel screws to fix the gutter trim to. I recon I will fit the gutter and finish it before painting over everything in one go. (I will paint and seal under the gutter before this.

[Image: 20190213_150616.jpg]

It looks quite rough but still needs to get final primer and flat before paint.

I also got that bracket out. About half way down the length of the door this is the bracket in mine. Last picture is how it will sit when looking from the rear. There was a single rivet through the roof panel and what I can only assume a wood screw held it to the door top frame.

[Image: 20190213_171541.jpg]

[Image: 20190213_171549.jpg]

[Image: 20190213_171630.jpg]

Lastly I made a new wood section for above the LHS door. Turned out okay. Now I must just check if the rear ones are still good. RHS door one was replace by my Uncle probably 25 years ago.

[Image: 20190213_173205.jpg]

That is it for now. Hopefully I can get in the shop again soon.

(13-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Ashleyvincent Wrote: I've just examined my RN which was manufactured in September 1932 and first registered in October in London. It is a 4 speed model with the 1933 model features as Austin used up the old bodies before the RP bodies went into production. My car has the steel brackets ( tested with a magnet) as I didn't want to remove the headlining! This confirms my vague recollection of these brackets before I replaced the headlining about 30 years ago. My car has the flush fitting sun roof rather than the later Pytchley type that sits above the roofline at the front.
Ashley

I can not wait to see how my sunroof sits.

Is there a thread on here that tells the differences between a RP and RN?

O and I will use a 4mm wood screw in stead of the 3.5mm that I used. The 4mm sits nicer and more flush than the 3.5mm.