The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hooray!
Had an hour in the garage this afternoon. The RP was asleep so I left it alone. Spent some time turning a new pad for my valve spring compressor (the bit that screws down onto on the head of the valve) as the original had dropped off and I couldn't find it. Gave the other end a tickle on the anvil to straighten everything up ready for next time it's needed. Tidied up and back into the house where it's nice & warm. Baltic here today.
Finished off the re-fitting of engine/gearbox after clutch 'adjustment'. Finished by putting a few drops of oil onto the release bearing and putting the inspection plate back on and carpets down. Now have to investigate why the driver's door squeaks whilst on a run. Yes, it rubs on the door pillar, but why now. Is it just the rubbers that have worn or the chassis cracking?? I think there must be a chassis inspection coming up just to put my mind at rest, but as Bruce says - Baltic here too.
Every 35 years my beloved and I declutter the house, whether it needs it or not. Part of the deal we struck three months ago to ensure my participation in this exercise was that I should forever after be allowed sole occupancy of the garage, so that it could become a home for the 65 and a small workshop 

Today has seen my last round trip to the tip and charity shop and the garage is now finally ready for the engine rebuild to commence. Hoo-bloody-ray!!
....did you read the small print about her sole occupancy of the house though?
(11-01-2019, 08:08 AM)bob46320 Wrote: It seems like oils are like domestic LED bulbs,  if SAE 20 acts like SAE 30   and a 9watt LED is like an old 60watt bulb.  I wonder what the viscosity of our oils are like just before we do an oil change, thinner or thicker.  In my case definitely thinner as I rarely top up the engine oil,  so I suspect that it is thinned out by petrol as there is little evidence of condensation around the oil filler.

Don't start me off on LED light bulbs! I do a lot of electronics and model making so need a good desk lamp (a few weeks ago I was soldering .5mm wires to a chip 1.5 by 3.2mm in size). All the LED bulbs are awful. No where near bright enough and terrible colour spectrum on some of them. Also a lot of desk lamps now use smaller E14 bulb sockets which only allow you to use low wattage bulbs.

I gave up trying to buy a decent desk lamp cheaply so I am making my own. With a full size socket so I can put in a decent non LED bulb.

Another area where modern tech gets confusing is digital photography when you start looking at sensor size and lenses and how they compare to 35mm film format.

I'll try the oil I have in the gearbox. Mainly since I am too lazy and cheap to go and buy more!

Simon

Out with the old, in with the new .
Wots matter with old un ? Good for another 100,000 miles surely.
Pushed the RP to the back of the garage so I could start to prep the Liege for the Clee Hills Trial.
(11-01-2019, 08:03 PM)Biddlecombe Wrote: Out with the old, in with the new .

The Austin 7 Handbook should have had a warning note- like the moderns with their Toothed Belts- change the Fabric Coupling every 5,000 ? miles (would have made a bice little earner  Smile ).

Cheers, Tony P.