The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T24 Carb problem
Looked again at the carb & the needle valve is 2.0 not 1.5. This is now on order!
The 15mm quoted seems a long way down the bowl. I will have another go!
David, do you have the original vacuum wiper installed?  A split or detached vacuum pipe would produce similar symptoms
No! an early electric. Thanks though!
None of the obvious solutions seem to apply & Burlen were no help, apart from selling me a 1.5 fuel valve!
I have cleaned out internal passages that I didn't dream existed (& am still not quite sure what they do), it is very frustrating.
At least I know the clutch & gearbox works, the dynamo charges and the brakes function! Some wiring needs replacing with armoured conduit, but overall for a blind buy it is pretty good!
David, You state you have a T24 carb. Is this the same as the Zeneth 24T carb. If so there is a good article about servicing etc and the variants of this type of carb for Austin 7s. To read go to the Dorset Austin Seven Club site and click on technical items then onto fuel and finally Zeneth 24T carb. It may help you get to the bottom of things.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Just thinking outside of the box - are you ABSOLUTELY sure this is a carburettor problem and not due to something completely different? Have you checked the ignition timing, plugs, points, leads, condenser, valve clearances etc?
Is the car a new acquisition? Has it ever run properly in pwith present owner. I know nothing about the carbs but used on other vehicles. Has it a large venturi but jetted for a small one?
(14-11-2018, 03:22 PM)John Mason Wrote: David, You state you have a T24 carb. Is this the same as the Zeneth 24T carb. If so there is a good article about servicing etc and the variants of this type of carb for Austin 7s. To read go to the Dorset Austin Seven Club site and click on technical items then onto fuel and finally Zeneth 24T carb. It may help you get to the bottom of things.

John Mason
Thanks.
Yes I have that article & it is excellent - slight confusion (typo) 24T vs T24! It is a 24T2 part no F1372.
D

(14-11-2018, 07:25 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Is the car a new acquisition? Has it ever run properly in pwith present owner. I know nothing about the carbs but used on other vehicles. Has it a large venturi but jetted for a small one?

Yes it is new to me. It "ran2 with the previous owner in northern California! Venturi & Jets are as specified by Zenith
D

(14-11-2018, 03:30 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Just thinking outside of the box - are you ABSOLUTELY sure this is a carburettor problem and not due to something completely different? Have you checked the ignition timing, plugs, points, leads, condenser, valve clearances etc?

Car starts & runs very well, but ONLY if the choke is pulled right out! It stops the moment the choke is released.
I even set off in top in error (forgot which way the 'box was!) and it pulled away smoothly (bit of clutch smoke, so at least it got rid of any oil on the plate!
valves not checked (except to see they weren't stuck), everything else ok...ignition is a DK4A & needs a bit of a tweak I think.
D
(14-11-2018, 07:58 PM)David.H Wrote:
(14-11-2018, 03:22 PM)John Mason Wrote: David, You state you have a T24 carb. Is this the same as the Zeneth 24T carb. If so there is a good article about servicing etc and the variants of this type of carb for Austin 7s. To read go to the Dorset Austin Seven Club site and click on technical items then onto fuel and finally Zeneth 24T carb. It may help you get to the bottom of things.

John Mason
Thanks.
Yes I have that article & it is excellent - slight confusion (typo) 24T vs T24! It is a 24T2 part no F1372.
D

(14-11-2018, 07:25 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Is the car a new acquisition? Has it ever run properly in pwith present owner. I know nothing about the carbs but used on other vehicles. Has it a large venturi but jetted for a small one?

Yes it is new to me. It "ran2 with the previous owner in northern California! Venturi & Jets are as specified by Zenith
D

(14-11-2018, 03:30 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Just thinking outside of the box - are you ABSOLUTELY sure this is a carburettor problem and not due to something completely different? Have you checked the ignition timing, plugs, points, leads, condenser, valve clearances etc?

Car starts & runs very well, but ONLY if the choke is pulled right out! It stops the moment the choke is released.
I even set off in top in error (forgot which way the 'box was!) and it pulled away smoothly (bit of clutch smoke, so at least it got rid of any oil on the plate!
valves not checked (except to see they weren't stuck), everything else ok...ignition is a DK4A & needs a bit of a tweak I think.
D

This might be a completely wild guess and insulting your intelligence (sorry) but is the choke connected the right way round?  It almost sounds like pushing the choke in closes it and pulling it out opens it.

Howard
(14-11-2018, 10:50 PM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(14-11-2018, 07:58 PM)David.H Wrote:

John Mason
Thanks.
D

D

D

This might be a completely wild guess and insulting your intelligence (sorry) but is the choke connected the right way round?  It almost sounds like pushing the choke in closes it and pulling it out opens it.

Howard
No Insult taken! The sort of straw at which I am clutching!!
However the choke is operating correctly = it is a chain pull & ring,
When I closed off the air with the palm of my hand and then started the car without the choke , it  ran -albeit very briefly. This suggests a fuelling problem. We'll see if the float valve change makes a difference....not holding my breath!
Keep coming up with wild ideas!
D Confused
One wild idea ,Take main jet out ,Refit plug over  hole .This to be sure petrol canals from float camber to nozzle are free.
Then start engine  and pull strangler and it will stall nearly immediately due to over rich mixture. If not there may be some more to blow /dig out?

Mogens