The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
paintwork
Photo 
        hi as a proud new owner Austin ruby ,could someone advise please,  the paintwork is showing cracks  very fine ,although the paintwork is shiny   i will try and upload a picture,
Probably not the original paint, so anyone's guess. It looks like the filler coat has shrunk away from the top coat over the years. may even be a "modern" paint system on top of the old cellulose paint.
(07-10-2018, 02:12 PM)bob46320 Wrote: Probably not the original paint,  so anyone's guess.  It looks like the filler coat has shrunk away from the top coat over the years.  may even be a "modern" paint system on top of the old cellulose paint.

Smile thank you for you thoughts, im wondering how to make it look better ? , or do you think it might be past improving ,and need a strip down and re spray/paint Huh
Can't tell how extensive it is but probably the only real solution is rub back and paint again. But I'd urge you to think about whether you really want / need 'perfect' paintwork. Many of us go out of our way to have it look a bit 'lived in'. Nothing looks worse on a vintage car than that 'just back from the spray shop' look.
Just pained a classic bike with the same problem.
Paint was 1/8” plus thick in places when I took it off.
I am considering coach paint for my A7.
Regards
Tim
if you just block- flatted that shiny paint back to a satiny sort of finish with a 240 grit, the problem would probably visually disappear.. and you'd get some vintage appeal back!
(07-10-2018, 09:33 PM)JonE Wrote: if you just block- flatted that shiny paint back to a satiny sort of finish with a 240 grit, the problem would probably visually disappear.. and you'd get some vintage appeal back!
JonE 240 would wreck this, more like 800 if you wanted to take the shine off, but those marks won't flat/ polish out.
Looks like too thick a paint finish, cracked back to primer.
My 1936 Rosengart LR4N2 cabriolet (the French Austin 7 'clone') that has. been restored by an anonymous previous owner shows it's a brushed paint job with even some dust particles in places.. at first the missus and I thought about rubbing it down and having it resprayed....to cut a long story short.... we've been advised to keep it that way and so we will at least for the near future...
(07-10-2018, 10:13 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 09:33 PM)JonE Wrote: if you just block- flatted that shiny paint back to a satiny sort of finish with a 240 grit, the problem would probably visually disappear.. and you'd get some vintage appeal back!
JonE 240 would wreck this, more like 800 if you wanted to take the shine off, but those marks won't flat/ polish out.
Not many options with my paintwork when I got it!
Now taken down to the original metal (after removing several kilos of filler & paint!), some of which had to be replaced (no surprise there) and now being prepared for painting.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-10-2018, 07:40 AM)David.H Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 10:13 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
Not many options with my paintwork when I got it!
Now taken down to the original metal (after removing several kilos of filler & paint!), some of which had to be replaced (no surprise there) and now being prepared for painting.
David,Definitely no real option there!