The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports bodies for a special or replica or travesty (depending on your point of view)
(16-05-2018, 04:27 PM)Nice work Nigel, look forward to seeing you get back into that project. M-M. Wrote: Hello Urgent Austin,

I started a blog on my A7 Special - but didn't finish it, I will someday.

https://nigelhwright.wordpress.com/

Hope some of the pics help. There's more if you want them.

Cheers

Nigel

I've just purchased a scruffy Nippy, I have a mk1 Pearl, but have always wanted an open top sports.

I am also looking at a bare rolling chassis sports 65 chassis to build an extra alloy body on too, so may make a spare body too.

Is there a need for Nippy and 65 panels? I know someone is making the ash sticks...

I trained as a Coach-Builder and am looking at using the skills a little more..

Regards M-M.
Hi M-M

Martin Prior and his son make the 65/Nippy woodwork as well as most of the wood for the Chummy / Ruby / Pearl / RP / vans and lots of bespoke bits and pieces in between.

I have sent you a private message re the 65 panels

Cheers
Greig
(11-08-2018, 05:13 AM)Greig Smith Wrote: Hi M-M

Martin Prior and his son make the 65/Nippy woodwork as well as most of the wood for the Chummy / Ruby / Pearl / RP / vans and lots of bespoke bits and pieces in between.

I have sent you a private message re the 65 panels

Cheers
Greig

Hi Greig,

Thanks for this. Yes I'd emailed and had good responses already from Martin Prior already. Its nice when someone answers questions when emailed, and Martin responded quickly, and with good clear pointers too. He's making some frame work components for another customer later in the year, so I may take him up on an extra kit or 2 ... Big Grin I can fabricate floor pans and skin quite simply with my tools... But I'll need to do a little more research, as I understand there are quite a few intricacies and details that differ here and there... I have a steel car, and am looking at an older alloy bodied car, where the body is very very bad, and lots of components missing on the body....

I did not see your PM, I'm a new user, maybe it didn't get passed on.

Regards

M-M.

Back onto the main thread, The beauty of a special body, rather than an original car you are wanting to take back to original, you have a lot of freedom of choice of design. Yes you can sit for hours coming up with a most beautiful design and some wonderful complex shapes (on paper or your iPad), but you do then have to take into consideration your own skill set, or the thickness of your wallet....? Also when drawing the design, don't forget, you have to be able get in it and drive it, its not just for looks... So seat positions, ergonomics, what do you want from it, sports, or just cruising? A special doesn't always have to mean sports racer does it....? It could mean lots of things.... Ulsters are great, as are standard bodies too. 

I think taking a good original car and ripping the body off is true to be frowned upon, not so much a crime (its your car), but hey theres plenty of rolling chassis' come up with legitimate logbooks attached. There do seem to be more constraints nowadays, reading the threads, regards to the paperwork on special builds, and this also can vary from country to country, I have friends in Norway, where building a special body is a nightmare regards to clearing road worthiness certifications.... Not forgetting getting insurance too. So think it all through please first...

I trained as a coach builder by trade, so I'm all for specials, but please, please, please, just think it through well before going into a coach builder to ask his advice, as you could get part way through and realise it just won't work.... or worse case you run out of money. The pre-fabricated Ulsters are a fantastic entry level to specials and I think if your a novice its well worth taking a look and asking those that have one, or have built one. Or, defeats the object a bit I know, go buy a finished one someone has spent months, years building, and sourcing the hard to find components for you.... and save a fortune....

Enjoy the build.

M-M.
great thread, any updates ?

M-M very sound advice :-)
You've had loads of suggestions and advice so this may be redundant...
Much depends on your level of skill and the equipment you have available. I'd suggest you look for a sheet metalwork/ bodywork course in you area. This will give you an introduction (if you need it) and skills which may allow you to go further.
Whereabouts are you? If you're within striking distance of J48 on the A1M you'd be welcome to come to see me and discuss and perhaps have a go at a couple of things to get a feel of what's involved.
I'm a great believer in CAD (card and duct tape) to find out what you which way you want to go for body shape.
In the past I have from time to time posted links to bodies for sale on the continent…. like this one…. for a mere 1000 euro's plus a trip to France you could buy a second hand body….. https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto...04701.htm/
may need some modification for it to fit but at lesat you're 'half way' and it won't break your bank hopefully
and includes seats....
(11-10-2019, 08:35 AM)Michael D Wrote: In the past I have from time to time posted links to bodies for sale on the continent…. like this one…. for a mere 1000 euro's plus a trip to France you could  buy a second hand body…..  https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto...04701.htm/  
may need some modification for it  to fit but at lesat you're  'half way' and it won't break your bank hopefully

Isn't that what is left of one of the infamous 'Water ski' Specials?
As meatloaf might say... You took the words right out of my mouth...

Pre waterski. It's the old leather sofa that gives it away.
as the french special body obviously is recognized and strikes a chord with some of you.. even if it's a sow's ear… sometime ought to buy it…just to preserve it for posterity….