The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox identification
Ratio's - Everything is slightly closer to top, fine if the car is reasonably light, which yours should be.
Black Art Enthusiast
(05-08-2018, 10:12 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Ratio's - Everything is slightly closer to top, fine if the car is reasonably light, which yours should be.

Thank you for that.
Yes the number S530 is on the back of the box by the filler.
More good news is that the compressions are solid around 100psi on a brisk (12volty!) crank and there is oil pressure!
The clutch disengages ok, so even that may work.
My block is no 163594)....could that be Nippy as well? My feeling is that it is probably too early a number.
If sports, Nippy or otherwise it will have the Chromidium diamond on it.
Black Art Enthusiast
(08-08-2018, 09:04 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: If sports, Nippy or otherwise it will have the Chromidium diamond on it.
Thank you.
The head 9E1 has that. I will have a closer look at the block. The 163594 is the engine number on the crankcase of course.
The block should have the engine number stamped inside the valve chest.
Normally (late?) sports blocks have a Chromidium diamond cast into them - this one is up the correct way but I have another with this cast upside down!

.jpg   Chromidium Logo copy.jpg (Size: 46.51 KB / Downloads: 275)
This shows the rear markings on a Speedy gearbox.

.jpg   Gearbox Detail.jpg (Size: 242.21 KB / Downloads: 276)
(08-08-2018, 09:21 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: The block should have the engine number stamped inside the valve chest.
Thanks for that bit of information!
I shan't bother for a bit - I spent some time getting the valve chest cover gasket to fit & am unwilling to disturb it at least until the engine has run and I find it leaks!

(08-08-2018, 09:30 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: This shows the rear markings on a Speedy gearbox.

Thank you.
My number is stamped to the rear by the filler "flange"  the S530 (as the top) is clearly stamped , there is the indication of an E (?) near the S. I will try & take a picture
Photo 
Another gearbox, rear flange marked 7154    0  and on the un-machined rear boss,  a large "R" Any guesses as to what year it may have been and which model it was fitted to please ?